Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

master socket wire colours.

Go to solution

Hi, i'm new on here,  i have taken the front plate of the master socket to use the test point to check my broadband speed. The colours of the wires do not relate to the colours that i have googled. The house was built around 1976 and as far as i know it is the original wiring, the colours are blue which is retained by a screw, orange which is also retained by a screw, brown and also a green which are not connected to anything. I can connect to the broadband and the phone works from the test point. Is this acceptable to use like this? Thanks for any help. Chas.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: master socket wire colours.

Go to solution

you only need wires connected to terminals 2&5 for your extension sockets to work. others do not need connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

I do not have any extensions, only two wires are connected to screw connections, the other two wires are not connected to anything. The face plate comes away completley, ie, it is not attached to the backing plate.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

then that's ok nothing wrong

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.