cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 11 of 35

Re: maximum data rate

thats the thing its been on the 3 dd for a long time even when i had normal broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 35

@shamus1 wrote:

what i cant understand is if i reset my router now it will connect up at the max attainable speed with a 3db noise margin but as soon as the evening comes it will reset again but at a lower than the max rate?

Its normal for the background noise level to increase in the evening due to interference from street lights, light dimmers, and many other devices.

It always gets worse as the darker evenings approach, which is why I am surprised that BT have opted for the 3dB margin and not left it at 6dB.

This lower margin has been tried before, and the same problems occurred with the mostly ADSL services at that time.

Probably another change of management again, and past mistakes are being repeated Smiley Sad

A minimum 6dB margin has always been the minimum for copper based Digital Private Circuits for businesses, anything less would indicate a possible line or equipment fault.

In your case, to ensure stability, it would be best to restart the home hub once in the evening when the disconnections occur, then leave it alone and do not restart it again during the day.

You will notice an increase in the max data rate during the day, but ignore the temptation to restart the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 35

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This lower margin has been tried before, and the same problems occurred with the mostly ADSL services at that time.

A 3 dB Target NM works fine on a stable ADSL connection. Mines been on it for years.

Expert
Message 14 of 35

mine was fine on it too but somethings changed and i think it is at exactly the same time the smarthub got its latest firmware update.im going to try my hub 5 and see if thats any different.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 15 of 35

i have been watching the maximum data rate tonight and at exactly 7.20  till 8.30 it dropped from a constant 52 down to 45 and now its constant at 52 again it almost seems that something happens at these times every evening causing my problem which doesnt make any sense to me?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 35

Perhaps somebody nearby uses some electrical appliance during that time? That drop is really not significant as it does not affect your actual speed, it only means that some part of the available frequency range used by VDSL has been degraded.

That can be caused by so many things, including switch mode power units.

See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 17 of 35

the thing is keith i never had this problem i should be getting max speed which i will get if i disconnect now at 9.00pm and it will stay connected until tommorow evening and it will drop exactly when this maximum data drops for the hour or so which to me reads that something is happening for sure which i dont know what could it be rein?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 35

The max data rate is not what you should get, it simply represents the available bandwidth at that point without allowing for any overheads or safety margin.

Anyway, this is becoming a waste of time, so I will leave the discussion to others.

It would be better if BT did not show this parameter, as it only leads to confusion.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 19 of 35

so me wanting to get to the bottom of a problem that has just started is a waste of time thanks very much.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 35

The Max. Data Rate is only a theoretical max. when your line is on the edge of stability. It is not what you'll actually get.