cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 21 of 35

Re: maximum data rate

at the times when this happens noise margin drops from 6 to 3 db.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 22 of 35

Maximum data rate is based on a percentile figure for a VDSL circuit that is running catergorised as "green" .... in other words comparitively healthy, and is not prone to any induced interference, rein issues or moreso ... crosstalk. As others have stated all of these issues become more prevalent during the dark hours ... street lighting, domestic electric circuits and usage of the dslam by VDSL users all increase during these hours.

The standard noise margin for VDSL is 6db, but if erosion is taking place, whether it be rein issues, crosstalk impacting on data compression algorithms, whatever ... your margin will start to drop off. What happens then is the errored second counts increase and cyclic redundancy checks (crc) mount up and eventually the modem drops the connection. Having established a new handshake the dslam and modem will negotiate as close to 6 again where possible ... and the whole sequence starts over.

Adding users to your exchange cabinet can influence your connection also. It's not possible to set a frozen noise margin anymore as Openreach alone control all aspects of DLM (apart from level 3 BTw), and even though technically the "10 day training period" ... doesn't exist as such, as most if not all will set the MSR in 24 hours ... that 10 days that is referred to is a timeframe that is dslam controlled to try and stabilise dodgy connections, by trying differing levels of interleave and data compression methods (modulation). And sometimes they never achieve it, or conversely are pulled into an unstable situation because of interference from elsewhere.

To begin with, if you really want a reliable connection ditch the BT hub and get a decent router, then you have something to build on. Once you have a reliable circuit that is in the green zone the dslam will automatically lower the noise margin, but for a different reason ... to give you the fastest connection it can, without dropping the connection. My own runs at 4.5db day and night never changes and syncs up at max speed, and runs for weeks on end.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 23 of 35

still dont know whats going on with my broadband,bt were monitoring it for 24 hrs and rang me after 24 hrs and confirmed they saw drops in connection so they sent a engineer and he could not find anything wrong but his tests reset router which put speeds back to a connection of 52 and maximum data rate of 53700 and ipv6 working again but as soon as the evening came it went down again and loss of ipv6 and connection of 45 and maximum data rate of 53500 and no ipv6.the only way to get the ipv6 back is to reset router which again gives me conection of 52 but as soon as the evening comes i lose connection again and lose ipv6 which i still think is why connection drops because of the ipv6 dropping.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 35

IPV6 has nothing to do with your connection speed stop worrying about the max data rate it is not important it is your actual data rate that matters
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 25 of 35

hi john i dont care about the max data and am happy with the speed i am getting its the disconnections which turn off ipv6?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 26 of 35

all i am after is a answer to why ipv6 keeps going and is there a problem in my area with it as i cant keep ipv6 as i have said if i reset i get ipv6 back but only if i reset in the daytime and as soon as evening comes ipv6 goes along with my connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 27 of 35

i cant get a answer from bt india because they have no idea about ipv6.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 28 of 35

why cant the mods look into this for me and give me a answer to this problem.the bt engineer agreed that this should not be happening.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 35

IPV 6 disappearing is a known problem and no answer has ever been found it is happening all over the UK
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 35

also the engineers are from Openreach not BT and they have no more knowledge about IPV 6 then anyone else

the loss of IPV 6 will not affect your connection it is not worth worrying about
0 Ratings