cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siash69
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

mcagent.exe is crashing quite regularly

I keep getting a pop up saying Mcafee Security Center has stopped working, check for solution and then closes. I then check my Windows Problem Reports & Solutions and keep getting this:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    mcagent.exe
Application Version:    10.5.240.0
Application Timestamp:    4e09a793
Fault Module Name:    mcupdshm.dll
Fault Module Version:    10.5.177.0
Fault Module Timestamp:    4bccca4a
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    00006e59
OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID:    2057
Additional Information 1:    fd00
Additional Information 2:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3:    fd00
Additional Information 4:    ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I have ran the Mcafee Virtual Technician and everything is said to be ok, once the program has closed I dbl click my BT Net Protect Plus icon to get the Security Center up and it says everything is fine, is this because I re-open the program and a new sevrice begins?

I only have the Firewall installed, I use Windows Security Essentials as anti virus and spyware protection along with Super Antispyware, IOBIT Advanced Windows Care, both paid versions and a free version of IOBIT Malware Fighter.

I leave my PC on for extended periods of time but am sometimes away from it for quite a while before it goes to sleep, my concern is that whilst I am away and the program crashes my system will be vulnerable. I have checked the Mcafee forums and nothing, also tried to chat with Mcafee online help and they wouldn't entertain helping me and said I should contact BT, several emails later, no reply still, so thought I'd try the forum again.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: mcagent.exe is crashing quite regularly

This sounds like a conflict between the installed programs you've mentioned. Has it ever worked or has this issue only recently occured?

If you click Update on the BTNP (McAfee) home page, does this work, as in cure this, or does BTNP still crash?

Also, AFAIK the Mcafee Security Center is a whole package, not sections of it.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
siash69
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

This problem has only just started to happen, I have used BTNP for a couple of years with the same programs and never had any problems before. I even had a paid version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware installed as well that ran with no problems even though the Mcafee Installer recommends removing it, I have since removed that, hoping it was that that was causing the problems but it obviously wasn't.

I did a custom install with the BTNP software and only installed the firewall software as the full security suite just hogged too much of my CPU, when I mentioned Security Center I should have said the Mcafee Home Page that pops up when I doulble click the Mcaffee icon in my notification area.

Will try "Update on the BTNP Mcafee Home page" but auto update is on and I always manually check for updates when I first turn my PC on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

Hmm, as it's a new problem, it could of been an update that has caused this.

This may be hard to find out which application is causing this...

...unless only BTNP has been updated recently?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings