Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D------t
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

merging 2 lines

Hey,

i have 2 lines, 2 numbers at home, 1 upstairs for broadband and 1 downstairs for calls

due to bt constantly upping prices so the fat cat bosses can have a pay rise its getting too much to have both

can i have both lines merged into one so i have 1 line only, working from the 2x main boxes (up / down) same number

and get rid off one of the numbers completley, i have been told this is possible but just wanted to make sure Bt can do this

so i have only 1 line rental to pay ect.

i was told bt would still charge for a second line? bit confused about this as if you have 1 number and 2 master boxes, 1 upstairs 1 down you still only have 1 line so it shouldnt cost anymore?

any advice would help

thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: merging 2 lines

Openreach would do the work, but you have to request it via your Service Provider (BT?).

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 3 of 5

Hi DesStewart,

Thanks for posting. It is possible to merge both service onto one line but you'll need to confirm which line / number you want to keep when placing the order.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
D------t
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for reply

would i still be able to use both master sockets that are fitted with the 1 account ?

i have 1 upstairs and 1 down, so if i cut the down number as my broadband and other number is upstairs could i still use

the box fitted downstairs?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 5 of 5

You would need to convert the master socket from the line you don't want to keep to an extension socket for the line you are keeping, this wouldn't happen automatically or be done remotely, you would have to arrange for someone visit to do that (or do it yourself)
.. If you just cease 1 line, all that would happen is the line would be ceased in the exchange, no one would visit your house, the line you keep would continue to work as it currently does...obviously if you want to keep broadband you keep the line that the broadband is associated with and cease the other that doesn't have broadband
You could use 'BT' to convert the ceased master socket to an extension socket but would probably be pricey and would have to try explaining it to a call centre person, if you don't want to do it yourself (you can buy the kit at DIY shops or Ebay,) an independent ex BT type person would be cheaper