cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

messages on two pc's

Go to solution

How do I ensure that once I have opened an email, it will not be waiting on another pc I use infrequently. sometimes there ar hundreds waiting!! I know there is a way to make the sever cancel emails once opened. Help please

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: messages on two pc's

Go to solution

The default in most email clients is to delete messages from the server as they are downloaded. Sounds as though yours is set to keep them. You should be able to change it but exactly how depends on the client. If you have problems, I suggest you post again saying what program you're using.

EDIT. For what it's worth, in Thunderbird you have to go to each account and uncheck "Leave messages on server" under "Server Settings". I guess others will be something similar.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thankyou for your response. I am on Bt broadband running Windows 7. I understand about deleting messages from  the server as they are downloaded but I cannot find any reference to it in Outlook. any ideas would be welcomed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I don't use Outlook but found this on another forum:

Just found out Outlook 2010 has the option checked by default to leave a copy of the messages on the servers for 14 days.  To disable this option, Click on the File Tab, Account Settings..., Account Settings.  Double click on your account, click More Settings button, Advanced Tab, Uncheck leave copy of messages on server.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Very many thanks for your trouble. Done that and problem now solved. Appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

apparently I do not have permission to add  arating so please take it as read!

0 Ratings