Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malbros
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

micro soft scam warning

Hi all - 

this may  have been  already  posted but just  a  warning re  being  phoned by usual  unsolicited  call  . Person with Indian accent claims to be working  for Microsoft Windows Tech  support  and  there  are  critical  errors being reported on your  computer that  they  can  sort out. You are  then  requested  to  go to  your  computer  switch  it  on  - enter  a  code -  and  then you'll  give  them  access  to your  computer  files  etc.  etc. they  then  charge  apparenntly  for  a  download  to  fix  the  (non-errors )  and also have  info  from  your  computer - eeek !

I had  such a  call and  asked the  person   to send  me  an  email  first - the person refused  and  put the phone  down on  me !!

Ha,  My wife  had  answered  such  a  call   some weeks  ago and  smelled  a  rat  and sensibly  refused to co-operate so I was already prepped. They  may  give  your  name  and  address which  can give  even  more of  a sound  of  authenticity . This  scam apparently  has been  going  on  for  some  time -  it's  international  call , cheap  for  them to call  and  scam  the  unwary - be  aware  and warn anyone  who  may  be  scammed it's enough    a simple  but  clever deception.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: micro soft scam warning

Yep, you are not alone on this Ive had about 3 of these calls so far, I normally keep them talking for ages and keep asking them to repeat their instructions then after about 20 mins say " wil this work on an Apple product"Smiley Very Happy

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@malbros wrote:
This  scam apparently  has been  going  on  for  some  time

Yes, it has been around for at least two years.  There is a long (400+ posts) thread about it here, which started in Feb 2011 and it had been going on for some time before that.

0 Ratings
arron1718
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

its like ikea ringing you up to tell you they have detected your coffee table has a stain and needs a team to come out and fix it

0 Ratings
XOR37H
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@arron1718 wrote:

its like ikea ringing you up to tell you they have detected your coffee table has a stain and needs a team to come out and fix it

The best analogy I have heard 🙂 Seriously though these fraudsters preying on the none tech savey is pretty cruel.

They contacted me a few months ago and informed me that they had detected a problem on my "Windows" which

was pretty funny as I dont have any Windows boxes as I only use Linux, I dragged the call out as long as I could then

told the guy that he was an outright fraud and knew nothing about computers, he didn't seem very happy and hung up 🙂

0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

I usually keep an air horn or other loud/anoying instrument close to the phone. When the scammers/ppi/ambulance chasers etc call I keep them talking then buzz the horn every now and then - I carry on talking as if I can't hear the noise - they usually go away after a while 🙂

0 Ratings
pauljm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

There are some very amusing posts on Youtube regarding this scam with some experienced PC users keeping the scammers going for a couple of hours at a time before they cotton on & get rather abusive.
0 Ratings