cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Lewis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

modem and Home Hub positioning

Will the installation engineer be happy to run either the master-modem or modem-HH cable from the master socket upto an attic room? I have my existing modem/router/wifi there as most of my kit is there and the guidance is that wifi is best broadcast down (we also have a homeplug circuit to reach where the wifi still doesn't).

If he/she won't, I presume I could move the HH afterwards and use a Cat6 or 7 cable?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: modem and Home Hub positioning

Provided that the wiring is in good condition, the engineer could make the socket up in the attic room the Master and the current Master into and extension. You can then maintain the setup as it is.

0 Ratings
sicknote00
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

the OR engineer can run a data extension from your master socket upto 30 metres. from that you can use the modem and HH3
Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tillypup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I have my modem next to the master socket, and I've run my own network cable to the HH3 which is in my kitchen to give a better wireless signal in the house. The engineer said he'd only ever used the 'red' cable that comes with the infintiy starter kit so didn't think it would work, and was pleased/surprised when it did - said he'd learnt something!

So my advice is run your own network cable to where you want the hub and keep the modem next to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Simon_Lewis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks everyone.

And if I go for the modem at master with separated HH, it looks like Cat6 cable is ok for the distance.

I'll see what the engineer is willing to do.

Thanks again.  

0 Ratings
sicknote00
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

you could ask the OR engineer to run a data extension from your master socket...and position the data extension socket where you wanted it,run the modem and HH3 off of that,then you will need less cable of your own, also CAT 5e cable is suitable for your needs.
Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
0 Ratings