cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andybigfeet
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

my internet only works when im on the phone?

as the title suggest my broadband will only work during a phone call, as soon as i hang up i loose all connections wired or wireless and the routers lights flash on and off.

when i start a phone call i can hear the "dial up " noises that you used to get when you had dial up internet as you were connecting, now is this bad wiring on my behalf? a bad line? bad router?

any suggestions would be great, thanks

andrew

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: my internet only works when im on the phone?

to check you internal wiring connect a filter to the test socket and then the hub and phone.  See if it still happens

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andybigfeet
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

we do not have a test socket, literally just one socket in the house and i undid the screws to have a look just one wire [splits into two] that feeds into the back of the panel, which is a single outlet panel, [so no accelerator or anything like that]

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

for all intents that is master/test socket - did you try a new filter?

there is a section here about your problem  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/homehubindex.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MrCheesecake
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

I'm having the same problem, did you ever get it sorted? I've got India calling me up today to see if it's sorted, if it isn't they'll be sending an engineer out try and sort it...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Hi Mr cheescake 

this post is over 2 years old now

which of these looks like your socket sockets.jpg

does your socket look like this inside could you please post  back more information  Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
MrCheesecake
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Yeah I realise this is an old post but was the most relevant one I could find.

I have the Openreach NTE5 socket, was fitted about 3 weeks ago after I had a noisy phone line repaired (damaged line apparently, even though I've only been living there for about 8 weeks...). I've tried the test socket, same thing, just doesn't connect unless I make a call.

Before it just decided to disconnect itself the speeds were dropping anyway, line wouldn't maintain a connection for much longer than a day, then would just disconnect and reconnect. I figured the drop in speed was due to my IP profile being lowered, but now it's decided to just disconnect itself altogether.

As I said before I have India calling this evening to see if what they've done has helped, but I suppose we'll just have to go from there.

Sorry about the long winded reply, and thanks for replying in the first place.

Sean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

did you read the jarviser link I posted for the other OP.  might help in your conversation with CS India

0 Ratings
MrCheesecake
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Yeah thanks, I'm just going to insist they send an engineer out, hope that gets it sorted! From all my Googling this seems the most likely problem...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

is your line still noisy can you try the quiet line test dial 17070then option 2 you should hear no noise try this test with the hub connected and also disconnected also have you tried using another filter can you please do these tests from the test socket
0 Ratings