Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hyattjon
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

my own servers pop3 is blocked

Go to solution

I have a website and a mail server.

Over the last few days I am getting failed login responses and failed authentication from it, yet it works from the webmail page sometimes.The mail program settings have not been changed and are correct as it sometimes but rarely POPs ok, but fails to SMTP.

Does BT block third party pop accounts?

I ask because I find my BT IP adress is listed on the spamhaus PBL, and my hosting company heartinternet say the server is responding OK when tested.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
hyattjon
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: my IP address is blacklisted and own servers pop3 is blocked

Go to solution

on further searches I find my IP adresss is blacklisted at 3 places

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a81.159.49.98

How can I get it removed or change it?

I can no longer access my pop3 server and a few webpages including webmail to my own server fail to respond.

Quote from my Hosting company (Heart internet) support:

...[ You really need to speak to a senior member of support at BT (I fear the 1st level support you may first get through to may not have the required knowledge to adequately answer and resolve this) to get these blacklistings removed or better - assign you a new IP address that isn't blocked.]...

Who do I contact please?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Jon,

You should only need to disconnect and reconnect your router to the internet to be allocated a new IP address.

It is probable that a previous machine  with that IP address has been used either consciously or otherwise to send spam.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
hi could you edit out your email address this is a public forum
0 Ratings
hyattjon
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
done
0 Ratings
hyattjon
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, I know how to renew my IP address but I seem to keep getting allocated from the same block and most are on one list or another. I have got around the problem by using all my SMTP settings on port 587 instead of port 25 and not using the webmail page.

Not a great fix but it keeps everybody happy it seems.

I am disappointed that BT seem to think it a good idea to keep adding it's customers IP blocks to Policy Block Lists because eventually it will force it's customers to abandon third party mail servers. I guess BT must have a big spam and botnet problem.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut, but that's big business for you.

Consider the question solved.

0 Ratings