Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrchimpy
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

myoffer expired - leaving BT

Go to solution

Hi all, I was paying £28.99/month Infinity 1. Had a message offering £36/month to sign up again, but I had a couple of months left on my contract so obviously left it - why start paying considerably more sooner than necessary?

Checked yesterday and the "offer" on myoffers has changed to £47.49 per month! Rang up and the best they could do was £42/month. That's a massive £13/month increase for no benefit.

My line can only do ~40M so am looking at competitors for £25/month. Seems like BT don't want to compete any more? Used to be easy to get them to do a comparable deal. Have been with Infinity ~4 years.

£36/month was just on the edge of it not being worth migrating away - any way I can get that offer back? Have been getting a lot of "computer says no".

--

Tony

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: myoffer expired - leaving BT

Go to solution

@mrchimpyThe offers now include line rental, which is why you are seeing an increase.

Real cost of the broadband is £47.49 - £18.99  = £28.50.

If you have line rental saver, then the £18.99 would be deducted from your bill.

0 Ratings
mrchimpy
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I am currently paying £18.99 line rental, £10 broadband & Calls. (would be £26, but I have offer discount of £16 per month). £28.99 per month total inc line rental.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Your original offer, before the price increase, was to renew the contract without paying the increase.

Lots of people got those offers as a means of persuading people not to leave.

Now that the prices have gone up, any offer would include the price increase.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Just a warning if you do decide to change providers at the end of your contract. Demand for fibre connections is very high in many areas, and people are on waiting lists if the cabinet is full.

Once you leave BT, your fibre connection would be ceased, and given to the next customer on the waiting list, so you may not get a fibre connection with a new provider.

0 Ratings
mrchimpy
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for responses - was my understanding that any new provider could just take over the line?

They definately don't make it simple to leave. At end of contract term will line cease rather than rolling to monthly? I was trying to do things right to avoid cease charge and incomplete contract term fees.

Really annoyed that there was no end date on offer, just vague messages saying to sign up soon.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@mrchimpy wrote:

Many thanks for responses - was my understanding that any new provider could just take over the line?

They definately don't make it simple to leave. At end of contract term will line cease rather than rolling to monthly? I was trying to do things right to avoid cease charge and incomplete contract term fees.

Really annoyed that there was no end date on offer, just vague messages saying to sign up soon.

A new provider can take over the phone line, but not the broadband, as that cannot be guaranteed.

With normal ADSL broadband, there is plenty of capacity in the exchange, so its not usually a problem.

That is not always the case for fibre broadband which comes from the cabinet.

At the end of your BT contract, the line or broadband is not ceased, you simply go onto a rolling monthly contract which would exclude any discounts that were offered at the start of you contract.

If you call BT UK customer options on 0800 800 030, at the end of your contract, you should be able to negotiate a price, close to what you are paying now, allowing of course for the price increase.

0 Ratings
mrchimpy
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Ok many thanks for advice, much appreciated!

0 Ratings
mrchimpy
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Got this resolved today by complaining to the right people.  Again, thanks for help - gave me the nudge to try one last push.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

It pays to persevere, they are usually keen to make offers on renewal Smiley Wink

0 Ratings