cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
worlass
Message 1 of 18

need to stop international silent calls

Help! Everything I see on this website excludes international nuisance calls. We get 3 or 4 of these calls EVERY day and its driving us crazy. We have caller display, and it simply comes up as an international withheld number. It seems to be one of those autodiallers where it rings a batch of numbers but only a percentage are ever connected. We are TPS registered.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: need to stop international silent calls

TPS can do nothing about these type of calls

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
worlass
Message 3 of 18

I realise this, I was simply explaining the set up and asking for help to stop the calls

0 Ratings
seema123
Message 4 of 18

here are some tips to be followed.

Register for free with the Telephone Preference Service

Ask for your phone number to be excluded from directories – this will stop companies from finding out your number in this way.
Keep your name off sales call lists
Screen your phone calls
Set up call barring for unwanted calls
Consider using TrueCall
Don't bow to cold calling pressure
Make a note of the cold call number
Report cold calling offenders

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 18

Truecall is the only way to stop international calls.. It's expensive to purchase initially, but if you use it too its full potential then maybe you can save money on some services you have from your telecoms provider.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
TLR
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

They are a pain ....I was awoken at 05..55am this morning by this kind of call .....they should be stopped please.

Why is the number not shown ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Overseas numbers are never shown. It's difficult to see how they can be stopped short of a ban on international telephone traffic. As already advised, TrueCall is an effective, individual option. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Tredmil
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Hi pottyperson  Smiley Very Happy

I have no wish to be rude about BT, but, hey, why not!  Most modern telephone systems around the world, including mobiles in UK, show a full international call number but 'apparently' BT are unable or unwilling to do so, or can't be bothered to recode the necessary software - or are tied into a system to archaic (or expensive) to change.  For similar reasons BT say they can't identify an international call beyond the easy bit which is saying "oh yes, you were bothered by an international nuisance call."  Spooky how they know but apparently cannot stop it.

However, now, BT seem to have found at least a partial solution and, if like me, you subscribe to the "Withheld" calls facility, you may be able to start saving that outlay.  BT have "invented" a phone which you can buy for around £40-£80 more or less which you can programme to block all withheld number calls, any number you choose and, wait-for-it . . .  International  calls (fanfare off-stage right).

It's a BT6500 and I believe there is a BT6510 too but I don't know what the difference is.  They are on offer at the moment by BT.  Do a BT search for current information.

I do have a question though, are these phones programmable enough to allow international calls through from people you actually want to hear from?  Can those you want to hear from be included on the phones' VIP list?  Similar about withheld calls 'cos it's annoying that hospitals, the police and government departments can't get through to me.  I'm going to get one of these phones anyway, but there will be people who will want to know, so, Gurus, please advise. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

try reading this thread on the subject  http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/BT-Launches-new-phone-to-stop-unwanted-calls/td-p/771026

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rhyds
Expert
Message 10 of 18

@pottyperson wrote:

Overseas numbers are never shown. It's difficult to see how they can be stopped short of a ban on international telephone traffic. As already advised, TrueCall is an effective, individual option. 

BT knows what's going through its network, withheld/international numbers or not. It would have to for that small, inconcequential part of its service called "billing". Even incoming calls to its network need to be registered for fiscal reasons  as BT will get termination charges and other fees from certain providers.

Also, as mentioned, it is not beyond the abilities of a modern phone network to display caller ID from international networks. The excuse of "incompatable systems" doesn't really stand up when routing etc. is mainly software driven.

0 Ratings