cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

neighbour access high speed via my property, i cannot..

My house and that of my neighbor are connected to the same telephone pole which sits in my front garden. My house is approx. 15 feet from the pole, my neighbor is about 300 feet from the pole. From that pole, a single line runs towards where the BT cabinets are.

However, my neighbour and I appear to be connected to separate cabinets (on the Herstmonceux exchange). I am connected to cabinet 1 (and cannot get high speed broadband), my neighbor is connected to cabinet 11 (which is closer) – and can get high speed broadband.  This is despite the fact that there is only a single line running from the pole towards the village where the cabinets are, and we both connect via the pole in my garden.

A number of questions arise from this:

1. Why, when there is a single common line running from the pole in my garden, are we connected to two different cabinets?
  2. How can I be connected to cabinet 11? There is clearly a line from cabinet 11 to the pole on my property as it provides the service to my neighbour.
  3. If I were to order a new number, can I be assured that it will be connected to cabinet 11? Who makes the decision what cabinet I would be connected to?

I would be prepared to consider ordering a new line, but only if I am sure it will be connected to cabinet 11. Someone MUST know how these decisions are made.

Any advice on who to talk to appreciated. Openreach point at BT, and BT point at Openreach.. 😞

Thanks!

Chris

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: neighbour access high speed via my property, i cannot..

Welcome to this user forum. @chrisfsi

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Not sure which numbers you're after. ADSL Max shows 0.75 to 2.5

If I put in my neighbour's number it also shows VDSL options (~50Mbps), but these options do not appear ogainst my number..

Thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Which cabinet on which exchange does it show for you, and what does it show for your neighbour?

Are you currently on BT Broadband?

0 Ratings
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

We're both on BT broadband. He's on cabinet 11 on Herstmonceux exchange, I'm cabinet 1 on Herstmonceux. Both are fibre enabled, although cabinet 1 is further away, which is why I cannot get a high speed connection.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@chrisfsi wrote:

We're both on BT broadband. He's on cabinet 11 on Herstmonceux exchange, I'm cabinet 1 on Herstmonceux. Both are fibre enabled, although cabinet 1 is further away, which is why I cannot get a high speed connection.

There is not a lot you can do about it, as Openreach own the external network.

See https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If both lines are fed from the same pole, I would be extremely surprised if they are actually fed from different cabinets, it sounds more like a database error. You can try contacting Openreach via this link https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?id=7214&embed

0 Ratings
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@Keith: That's the standard Openreach answer, I've spent ages on their website (and their phone..) trying to get an answer. 

@licquorice - thanks, I'm also surprised. I filled in that form 4 days ago, not had a response yet. Is it any wonder people lose patience? 🙂

To be honest I've pretty much given up hope of getting my existing line transferred, but I would like to know who can provde an answer as to which cabinet I'll be connected to if I request an additional line.. Cabinet 11 is closest, and provides high speed access to my neighbour via my property, but I can't find anything that will indicate if that cabinet has capacity or not..

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

If its a database error its not a question of getting the line moved, you will both be fed from the same cabinet. I can't find a location for cab11 as it would appear to be a new cab, its possible its an infill cab and your lines have been re-arranged to be fed from it but the database hasn't been updated. Do you know where the cabinets are physically located? Cab1 appears to be on the A271 nearr to the junction with Victoria road.

0 Ratings
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Yes, cab 1 is on the A271. Cab 11 is in Bodle Street Green, about 100 yards sounth of the junction in the middle of the village. It is a new cabinet. I'm about 1 mile north of that juncition, hence I'm much closer to cab 11 than cab 1.

What's the next step if it is a database error?

0 Ratings