cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rumbles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

netgear 600

Having lost patience with the speed of my broadband connection i purchased a netgear 600. However i have spent about 6 hours trying to install it but without success.  As a real computer novice i tried to connect it to my phone line using the equipment provided. I then tried running it through my homehub. All to no avail. I could not get connected to the internet at all and had to remove the N600.

Should i be installing this as a replacement for the homehub? If so is the homehub redundant?

I managed to get the Netgear login page with all the relevant info generated by the set up wizard but still no internet connection. I connected the yellow ethernet cable to the homebub and then to the N600. However i still got no internet access .

I just need to know where i am going wrong.

Questions. 1 Does the Homehub play a part in the installation of the N600 or does it replace it?

2. What wires run where from the phone socket to the new router?

3. Should the set up wizard work well with BT Broadband.

It has left me with a headache.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: netgear 600

Are you on ADSL or BT Infinity?

0 Ratings
Rumbles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

ADSL
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@Rumbles wrote:
ADSL

The Netgear is a cable router, you cannot use it on ADSL unless you purchase a separate modem. So its not suitable as a replacement for home hub, but you may be able to use it as an additional wireless access point, but it cannot be connected to your phone line.

Which home hub do you have, and what is the problem you are having?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

there are many N600 netgear which will work on ADSL which model of netgear did you buy?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rumbles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Hi

The box describes the N600 as a "Wireless Dual band Gigabit ADSL+2 Modem Router" and says it is "For BT connection". At the bottom of the box it says " For DSL cable or internet service". Within the box is an ADSL filter.The instructions include a diagram about connecting to Adsl which shows a cable running from the ADSL socket on the filter through to the port at the very top of the N600. (phone cable)

Step 1 states "connect to internet with ADSL or ethernet WAN" It states connect to Ethernet WAN if connecting to Fiber/Cable modem.

Step 2 is entitled "cable your computer" which shows an Ethernet cable running from the N600 to a computer. I assumed this meant putting an ethernet cable into a LAN port and then inserting into an ethernet port on the computer.

Step 3 is power up and step 4 is set up internet access. I can get onto the routerlogin page using my firefox browser and this allows me to go onto the set up page. However i am having to get onto this page by using my home hub connection. I can get no internet connection for my new network.

Does this information assist?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Did you use the ADSL setup?

There are some Netgear experts here, so it may be better to see what they say.

Remember to setup the PPPoA autentication.

ADSL uses PPPoA. (Point To Point Protocol Over ATM)

If you use a different router with ADSL, then you need to make sure that the authentication is set to PPPoA.
You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

your home hub should not be used when using the netgear

connect the rj11 modem cable from the phone socket to the socket on the netgear.  connect the yellow ethernet cable from the netgear to the pc/laptop.  then enter into your browser 192.168.0.1 and then password into box which will allow entry to the router manager.

for user set bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.  then check in adsl setting that mulitplexing is vc based and o and 38.  in basic adsl make sure encapsulation is set tp pppoA and NOT pppoE

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rumbles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Thanks. I will have another crack later today.

0 Ratings
Rumbles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Hi

Another day wasted! I cabled up the computer with the ethernet cable and even managed to get onto the Netgear control page which went through the set up process. My computer recognised a new network had been set up but steadfastly said " no internet acess".

I went through just about every process on the control panel of my computer but still "no internet acess".

I entered the passwords and userwords but still no luck.

The laptop recognised there were two wireless networks. Home Hub and the new network but when i pressed on the new network despite the  words "connecting" featuring on the screen it failed to get onto the internet. The small box which appears with the connections just said " Shepherd ( my new network) no internet access."

Any ideas?

0 Ratings