cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelfman
Message 1 of 5

never mind the speed, what's the max file download?

I've spent most part of the day trying to download Mountain Lion, I started about 9:00PM last night, gave up around 11 and called Apple about 08:30AM today.
The download started okay (about a dozen or so times) but repeatedly froze at 53.25MB of 4.34GB - calculating. 
Then - 'an error has occurred'
The kind man at Apple talked me through dumping various files that I can't remember, re-installing Lion - in case of some unknown program conflict. 
And of course we checked and re-checked everything (about 6 times), including username & passwords etc, etc, etc,
Around 2:00PM it occurred to me to try an download to my MacBook - which hopefully had a 'clean bill of health' - exactly the same result.
Then the Apple man asked if my ISP was BT! - it is.
When I called BT, what I can only imagine to be a spotty adolescent, sniffed and exclaimed; "yeah I 'ad that when I tried to download an upgrade to me iPhone = 'system overload' mate, we don't do software support, wait about a week or so and it should be alright!
I, counted to 10, and asked him to check my Broadband service. 
After several mishaps and passing me to 'a senior support advisor' it turns out the router BT supplied me 'had a firmware issue' which doesn't allow downloads of more than 2GB.
Apparently this 'should've been fixed with an automatic upgarade'
Although I pay BT business rates for a business service they can't tell me when my upgrade will be forthcoming, although the imbecile at BT says it'll be 'rushed through'
I could go to Starbucks and download it for the price of a coffee, but I think I might just buy my own router.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: never mind the speed, what's the max file download?

welcome to the forum but this a forum for BT residential customers where customers help each other with their problems

as a business user you need to use the business forum http://business.forums.bt.com/

I have heard that there is a download file limit of 2gb - there certainly is not with my 21CN connection

did you try using ethernet cable rather than wireless to see if that helped

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

please stop spamming the forum

I don't have a problem downloading 4gb+ files so you are not correct.  you are also on the wrong forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Tolerance is a virtue. The originator of the thread gave me an idea that solved my own problem, as a residential user, in overcoming problems downloading Mountain Lion. As it turns out, the issue isn't whether you are a domestic, or a business customer. Just which modem/router you use. BT gave me a business hub a couple of years back, to overcome a very specific local problem on my residential connection. It was this 2-wire router that was causing the problems. So thanks for raising the issue - you have helped to solve a problem for BT residential and business users in the UK and many more Mac users globally who use the 2-Wire router.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

there are numerous post missing which have been removed due to spamming the forum which you have not seen- the original post was left but the numerous other  posts removed - spamming the forum is not permitted

0 Ratings