cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

new build development. some homes wired to the cab, others direct to the exchange

Hi!

Bit of a strange one... I'm just in the process of moving into a new build property and I would like to order infinity. The problem is that my home has been wired directly to the exchange (using the existing lines from the hospital that was previously on the site). The BT infinity checker indicates that I can't have fibre (when checking against my address and phone number), but 3 of the homes on my street can. There's an fttc enabled cab about 30 metres from my home.

I've spoken to a couple of openreach engineers when they've been on the street who've told me they were there to set up infinity. They've told me that I need to order it from bt who can then arrange an engineer visit to connect me to the cab (a job one engineer said wouldn't be too much work). The problem is that BT won't allow me to order infinity, claiming it's not in my area, but it won't be "in my area" until my line is routed to the exchange via the cab.

What can I do?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: new build development. some homes wired to the cab, others direct to the exchange

Anybody? 😞

Any suggestions about which approach I can take to get BT to come out and route my line via the cab would be appreciated. The engineers I've spoken to said it would be easy. The cab is close, all the cabling is new (new streets, new cable junctions, etc) and some of the houses on the street seem to already be capable of ordering infinity. Maybe I just need to speak to the right department? The closest suggestion I've had is to order a second line, but I don't want to pay for 2 phone lines, and I don't want to pay cancellation charges on one (along with the broadband package on it).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: new build development. some homes wired to the cab, others direct to the exchange

I suppose you could contact the Mods - they will take around 5 working days to reply at the moment. Use this link https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

There is no guarantee that a second line would be routed to the cabinet.
The routing of the network is the responsibility of Openreach not BTRetail who are your service provider and as Openreach is not customer facing there is little that can be done Openreach are looking at solutions to exchange only lines but at this time there are no answers as to when this will happen
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

There has been a few posts about this type of problem, this is just one of them

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Connected-directly-to-exchange-can-I-ever-have-Infinity/m-p/6...

It looks like you have no easy options because of being connected to the exchange rather than through the cabinet.

You could contact the options team on this number 0800 800 030, they are UK based, and see if they can help you or at least point you in the right direction to get further information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've contacted the mods via the form linked above. 

I've used the broadband checker again, and now that some more of the houses have been completed, more are showing up as infinity-enabled. In fact, all of the homes on the opposite side of the street (the even numbers) have access to infinity, and most of the houses on my side of the street can't get infinity.

I'll try the options number and see where that gets me.

Are there any other avenues that I can try? Like I mentioned above, one of the engineers explained that it should be relatively simple to rewire my property via the cab. There's a BT junction box (one of the pavement boxes) a few metres from my house, and the infinity cab is about 30 metres away on the street. I obviously can't contact Openreach directly, so I was hoping there would be somebody at BT would be able to agree to send an engineer to do the work and get me hooked up with infinity.

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

it is unlikely to be that easy and if possible could be an expensive all you can do is see if the forum mods can help they are the only BT employees here

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Do you really think so? I don't know... it's a new build development with all new cabling, new BT junction boxes all the way down the street and, as I mentioned before, I've since figured out that all of my neighbours on the opposite side of the road (the even numbered homes) are wired via the cab for some reason (as they can all get infinity). How much work could it possible be to get me wired up the same way? Even the engineer seemed to think it would be straight forward.

I realise this is just a community forum - I was just hoping somebody else would have heard of a similar issue that was eventually resolved (though I'm starting to think that's unlikely). Hopefully the forum mods will have some idea if it's possible to get an engineer out to get me wired via the cab.

Thanks for all your input so far. 

0 Ratings