Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidthekid
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

new house build phone line problems!

Hi,

I have just moved into a brand new rented flat, we had a BT engineer connect the phone which worked on the master socket which is located in the bedroom. In the livingroom is a fancy socket with 2 sky terminals which lead to a master dish somewhere, a radio antenna, a TV ariel and a telephone socket which I need to connect sky to to fulfill the contract. The problem is this fancy telephone socket doesn't work and the BT engineer said it is not connected probably and he will charge an extra £140 to fix it or get the housebuilder to do it for free as its his fault. I have told the landlord this and he rang up the housebuilder who said it is connected and the BT engineer needed to connect it as if it was a second line. Now I am stuck between the Landlord, the housebuilder and BT and don't know who to trust and now have Sky chasing me about not being connected to a telephone line. 

Is this common in new builds and has it happened to anyone else and is it something BT could fix?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: new house build phone line problems!

BT's responsibility ends at the master socket, all else is the property owner. Whoever is responsible in your case ie. landlord or you can either do it yourself, look in yellow pages or local rag for sparks who will do it at a reasonable cost or get BT to do it for an arm and a leg.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
sidthekid
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Rad,

There is a network hub on the ground floor, do telephones also work off these and it just needs setting up as the housebuilder keeps saying it is needs connecting down stairs and this is the only thing I can find that he may be talking about.

Thanks Sid

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Sorry, no idea what it might be. You get all sorts of techno stuff installed these days and even if I saw it would probably be none the wiser.

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
russianmonkey
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I believe it can be common, and this isn't 100% always true, but the wrong wiring or connections can be put in. It could also be that the 'network hub' could be where the lines need connected, and this place is innaccessible.

Maybe best call customer services to check the engineers notes.
0 Ratings