Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
margaretr
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

new to BT - download limit

Go to solution

This switch to BT has a previously unnoticed disadvantage.
I have been with them for 2 weeks and 3 days and have received mail which tells me that I have used 7.76 of my 10 monthly usage allowance.
Unless I modify my usage I will be paying extra £5 a month every month my usage exceeds 10.

I dont download music.
I dont download films.
I do websearch extensively for many hours a day.

I would appreciate your comments on what you think may be causing this 'excess use'.

I suspect the following -
..watching TV on BBC iplayer
..reading a book on a live connection to scrbd
..having several webpages open at one time for a few hours at a time.

If these are causing heavy usage, I will need to modify my browsing habits, reluctantly.

PS as an afterthought - could someone be 'piggybacking' my connection

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: new to BT - download limit

Go to solution

Hi Margaretr, welcome to the forum 🙂

You mention in your post that you watch TV on the BBC iplayer. This will be what is mostly responsible for your usage. Any kind of streaming, such as the iplayer, uses up a great deal of data. If you have used up nearly 8 GB and you're only half way through your billing month then obviously you are going to break the 10 gb usage allowance. I'm guessing you have option 1 broadband package which gives 10 GB usage allowance. You will need to upgrade to option 2 which is £18 a month.

The reason I say this is that BT will charge you for going over, but if you go over repeatedly every month you will be forced to upgrade as the package is deemed not feasible for your use, they won't allow you to go over month after month for the duration of your contract. Be aware though that this restarts your contract and may be on a different duration so make sure to ask how long the contract will be for, originally I was on a 12 month contract and when it was upgraded it turned into a 24 month contract. Option 2 will give you 40 GB usage allowance, so you will be able to carry on your current usage and even exceed it, and still not pay any extra fees.

Hope this helps 🙂

margaretr
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for that info - cause identified now - I can modify my viewing habits

0 Ratings
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

At first glance, I would say the causes would be the iplayer and the live book feed which is using your data, don't forget that if you go into the broadband section of "my services" via your account then there is a link to a broadband usage monitor which will tell you how much you've used and how much is remaining for the month, a green bar means you're fine, an orange bar means you're getting close and a red bar means you've exceeded your allowance 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
hi i player can typically use anything up to 500mb per hour eg 2 hours =1 gb and your live book feed could be a reasonable amount of data transferred
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

@margaretr wrote:

This switch to BT has a previously unnoticed disadvantage.
I have been with them for 2 weeks and 3 days and have received mail which tells me that I have used 7.76 of my 10 monthly usage allowance.
Unless I modify my usage I will be paying extra £5 a month every month my usage exceeds 10.

I dont download music.
I dont download films.
I do websearch extensively for many hours a day.

I would appreciate your comments on what you think may be causing this 'excess use'.

I suspect the following -
..watching TV on BBC iplayer
..reading a book on a live connection to scrbd
..having several webpages open at one time for a few hours at a time.

If these are causing heavy usage, I will need to modify my browsing habits, reluctantly.

PS as an afterthought - could someone be 'piggybacking' my connection

Hi, Welcome to the forums.

The other posters have kindly given you the details that will give an indication of your usage. As extras, e.g. Skype video chat and facebook - the latter can be many 100s of MB per day for some of the applications. An open webpage may not incur any usage, it depends what the "page" is doing - most are pretty much  "fetch and display" only, but if they have rolling adverts, then this will have a trickle amount of usage.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone is piggybacking your connection.

To keep an eye on your usage, there is a online usage meter - note that it is a day in arrears, and can be accessed via my shortcuts options 14d-14g - hopefully one will work for you.

Note that the extra usage is £5 per extra 5GB. So if you went over to 15.2GB, it would be £10 extra - but only from the 2nd month extra usage.

If you want to continue with your current usage levels, it might be worth upgading to the next level. Obviosuly it depends on finances and other things.

margaretr
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for your replies.

I am now staying away from BBCi playerSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

How is your broadband usage looking now? Still under 10 GB I hope 🙂

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

You could probably phone BT and get a deal on Option 2...

It will probably be the same as what you pay for option 1 now 😉

0 Ratings
margaretr
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I stopped using live BBC News and Iplayer and my usage plummeted.

This is the last day of my 10 usage allowance and I have 1 left.

0 Ratings