cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

new user - BT Youview+ box - Remote Control only works when room is very brightly illuminated....

Hi, i'm new here, so please be gentle...  I have only just received my box, and thought initially that the box/remote was faulty, but a process of elimnation has led me to find the the remote works fine, and the box responds very well - if every lamp in the room is turned on full, or during the day all the curtains and rooflights are open. Which suggests that per the user manual it may an 'ambient light control' or similar within the TV....only the TV manual does not list such a function. However, the TV is a pretty old - probably 10-12 years - Panasonic Plasma flatscreen display panel, over 60" screen, so perhaps the screen size is overwhelming the remote? The screen does not have a tuner built in, it is purely a display panel. The picture is tremendous, but the box is worthless if i can't control it in more subdued lighting. The youview+ box has been tested using a projector, and again works fine. Any ideas on a solution would be welcomed, or if I anyone knows if the BT Contract can be cancelled as the TV seems to be incompatible? Many thanks in anticipation.   

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: new user - BT Youview+ box - Remote Control only works when room is very brightly illuminated...

Confused. Do you mean that the YouView remote only works under these conditions? Bizarre.

Or are you using the YouView remote to control your TV panel?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Re: new user - BT Youview+ box - Remote Control only works when room is very brightly illuminated...

Thanks for looking this over - the TV works fine with the YouView+ remote under all conditions - it's the YouView+ Box that does not respond unless the room is very brightly lit - yes, does seem bizarre!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

@SuburbanSage

Sorry to ask this, but have you removed the Shiny plastic Film from the front of the YV Box? I didn't when I got mine and sometimes found that the remote didn't work as expected.

The shiny film could be hindering the signal.

Just a thought as I had something similair..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

fair point, but yes, the plastic film is removed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

If you stand Right up close to the YV box with the remote (and with the lights down low) does it operate correctly? if so, move back a step or so and repeat - at what point does the remove become unresponsive?

You may have tried this already

FYI, my TV is 15 Years old (A Big Brute of a Sony 32" CRT) and it works fine.

What model of YV box do you have?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 11

@SuburbanSage If you haven't do so already can you try the following checks?

Do you have a flatscreen TV?

A lot of modern TVs have an ambient light or auto dimming feature, designed to adjust the brightness of your TV screen. Unfortunately, these features can send out infrared signals which interfere with the signals sent from your BT TV remote control.

You can fix the problem by turning off the screen dimming feature. Please see your TV's user guide for instructions.

Does the remote control work straight away or not?

If your remote control doesn't work at first but is then OK, it could be because your TV has an energy saving mode.

This measures the light level in the room and adjusts the screen backlight to reduce the amount of power used by the TV. On most modern TVs it's active for up to 30 minutes after you first switch it on. However, this feature can also stop your BT TV box responding to your remote control.

We suggest following your TV's instructions to turn off the energy saving mode and setting your screen brightness to at least 70%.

Are you using energy saving light bulbs?

If you’re experiencing problems intermittently and you notice it more in the evenings, energy saving light bulbs could be interfering with the infrared signal.

To confirm this is the problem, switch off your lights for a couple of minutes and test your BT TV service again. If it's working fine, try repositioning your lights or TV.

Let us know how you get on?

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

thanks Mac - same story really, with the lights dimmed, up close to the box, no response from the box, and again no response as you back away. Curiously, with the lights on full (all halogen spots, not energy saving), up close there is still no response but as you pull away then the box starts to respond when about you are about 1m away.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi Neil, thanks for the suggestions.

The screen does not have anything specifically described as auto-dimming or ambient light - but has something called AGC (auto gain control) which I have turned off - this has not made any difference.

It does have an energy saving mode, and again i have turned this off - but again has made no difference.

I do have some energy saving bulbs though in adjoining rooms. There is an LED lamp in the TV room, the rest are Halogens.

Perhaps its worth also saying that I a still running a Virgin TIVO box, a Freesat box, and a Panasonic Home theatre system - all three of these have no issues with the remte controls.

Tomorrow I am going to give it another go during the daytime with as much natural light in the room - lets hope we get some sunshine!

Very grateful to hear any more ideas.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Hi Neil...reply No 2 

By the way, yes it is a flatscreen.

I have this morning tried the box with all the window blinds and rooflight completely open, and it is very sunny so have had the full benefit of a very bright day. The YV+ box responds fine to the remote control under these conditions, but close the blinds again and the box stops responding to the remote.

thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings