Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sterna
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

no phone and broadband for 2 months

Hello,

I have moved into a new house, for which I ordered phone and broadband on 24 Aug 2016. The start date was confirmed as 6 Sep 2016, however, two months later I still have no connection. I have spend countless hours on the BT helpline, had numerous promises for call-backs which never happened, was promised several times by BT that the line problems were solved, had several engineer visits, which only confirmed that the problems had not been solved, wasted 2 days of holiday waiting for BT engineers, and also send a written complaint to BT in mid-September to which I never received a response.

I think the customer service of both BT and Openreach has been appalling, and there is clearly no interest shown in prioritising this matter, e.g. the last time I was told the problem was solved it still took about 10 days to get an engineer visit...

I live in a rural area and have only weak mobile connection, so I am reliant on landline and broadband, and suggestions to use a BT hotspot are not really helpful...

This lack of customer service seems only possible to me due to the monopol of Openreach, and the only reason I am still a BT customer is the lack of an alternative. Is BT really that powerless with respect to Openreach that they can't demand a quicker solution Or is it just the lack of interest?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: no phone and broadband for 2 months

Under rules laid down by OFCOM BT cannot get preferential treatment all providers approximately 500 of them are treat equally
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

new builds often have many problems mostly due to the sites builders not having the infrastructure ready for Openreach to install cables
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Suspect FTTP.

Can you run this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your address please (not the postcode checker) and post up the results.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

Have the builders installed all the ducts, and has Openreach provided the cable into your house, or even left it coiled outside?

0 Ratings
sterna
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

It is not a new-built house, there is a BT socket in the living room and the previous tenants had landline and broadband. Apparently there was no free port in the local exchange, which they told me was going to be fixed within a week but actually took seven... Now there seems to be a fault somewhere else...
I appreciate that BT customers do not get preferred treatment, but customers where they have been failing to provide service for months should!
0 Ratings
sterna
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I checked the dsl checker and all fttc services state available.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

You really need to escalate this with a manager until someone takes personal care of the order through to completion
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
sterna
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

That is what I have been trying to do for the last 2 months... I now had calls from two different people claining to be my personal 'case officer', the first one promised to chase up Openreach on a daily basis, but the second now has gone back to the ususal 'we will update you next week' routine...

I have send another official complaint via email last week, but as before no reply to that yet.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings