Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hobbo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

noisy line

Go to solution

Hi have had similar problems to many people with a very noisy line. Have done everything possible re checking line,chat with bt etc. Reported now many times within the last month,  followed with fault checker. Just this morning seems to be o.k. if it has been found and repaired, would like to know where the fault has been exchange etc but cannot find this info we are holding our breath as we have been like this before.From a very disgruntled B.T. user. p.s. have had engineers in could'nt find anything.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: noisy line

Go to solution

You should be able to check the status of your fault report to see if it's still open, or closed....if it's still open then the fact it doesn't seem to be noisy at the moment is probably just coincidental , but does demonstrate how 'difficult' it can be to track down noise problems , if yours has temporarily resolved itself, sometimes noise faults can be obvious in periods of bad weather, but if the weather improves, the noise may dissapear , only to return the next time it rains

If the fault report is closed, you could ask BT what the 'clear' was but it may be quite generic and not mean much to you .

If the fault is still open and you get to see an engineer , or they ring  to say they have repaired the fault, you could ask where the problem was, but I don't know why you would want this info, no doubt if you ask they will tell you.

Unfortunately problems that just disappear tend to come back , the fault could be closed as 'right when tested', if the noise isn't present when the line is checked by either an 'external' engineer , or an office based OR  employee.

I take it you have already proved the noise is out to line , by plugging a known working ( fault free) preferably corded phone directly in the master socket test port ( no broadband filter etc) thereby eliminating anything that you own or are responsible for as the cause of the noise

0 Ratings
hobbo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, yes I bought a brand new corded phone and plugged it into the test socket without a filter the problem was still there. I have now used the fault tracker and it says fault is closed. Have not had any call to say problem has been solved so one can only guess that it has. Engineer a fortnight ago could find no fault but he said one could still be there. On every call I have made it has been quoted I may have to pay £130 if it was on my lines which I was 99% sure it was not[have had this many times before], This is why I would like to know where the fault has been so if it returns I can state where it was before. My wife and I are holding our breath not knowing when it might return Thanks. p.s. it has been a horrid 4 weeks as we use the phone quite a lot as we are now well into senior citizenship.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @hobbo

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having with noise on your line.  Can you send us over your details and we will have a look at this for you?  

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
hobbo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi today engineer came out, he at last found the problem, it was insulation  crumbling away from the cables in the green box at the end of the street. So far so good, my wife has nearly lost confidence in the phoneline staying in this state, at least we may know where to look in the future, has taken well above a month to sort out. Had a very good idea it was not with my phone equipment which is always kept in good order. Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings