Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wangyikf1984
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

number port today, but sim not valid until now 4:30pm

Go to solution

Just transferred to BT from vodafone and got the PAC sereral days ago. BT texted me they will move my old number to BT today. I found my old sim had no signal this morning and then inserted the BT sim to my phone, but showed sim card is not valid. I contacted BT online team and they suggested the transfer will be finished up to midnight today. Now is nearly 5pm and the BT sim is still not valid. Did anyone have the experience on what time my sim will be activated? I am using a phone bought from carphonewarehouse without any contract so my phone should be unlocked to any provider.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: number port today, but sim not valid until now 4:30pm

Go to solution

You have to activate the BT SIM online before it will work, and before you transfer your number.

http://www.bt.com/go

See http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/getting-started-with-bt-mobile-11363970485851

0 Ratings
wangyikf1984
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. Actually I did the activation on bt.com/go already. Now when I go back to bt.com/go, it shows the followings:

You'll need to activate your SIM to start using your mobile. It could take up to 3 hours, we'll text you when its done.

You'll need to unlock your phone before you activate your SIM or your phone won't work. Find out how here.

1. Make sure you have your BT SIM and your phone is unlocked.
  2. Click Activate.

You don't have a SIM to activate at the moment.

To view your account login to My Mobile or purchase another SIM.

What can I do?

0 Ratings
wangyikf1984
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

just used the BT sim in my friend's phone and it worked. That means the sim is activated and it seems my phone was locked. But I bought my phone (iphone5S) from carphonewarehouse and was told that it was sim-free. I dont have other provider's sim to try if the phone is locked by vodafone. What can I do?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Contact the carphone warehouse and complain. They must have mixed up their stock and given you the wrong phone.

0 Ratings
wangyikf1984
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Will go to their shop today but not sure what they will do. I bought the phone one year ago and cannot find the receipt now. They may find my name and my purchase history in their computer.

0 Ratings
Asteroid
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

This could be that the phone locked to the network of the first SIM card that's inserted into it.  This was certainly common with iPhones 4S & 5 purchased from CarphoneWarehouse, and they even have a notice about this on the help section of the carphonewarehouse website - I don't know about the 5S onwards however.

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I think it's still the same ... only phones bought direct from Apple are truly unlocked. If bought elsewhere they lock to the first network they're used with.

CPW should be able to update Apple's database to unlock your phone (so I believe). If you take your phone in to an Apple shop they may even be able to do it for you. (Take proof of purchase for the phone).

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings