Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

old phone line

hi there

Im yet to purchase a bt infinity package I would need my phone line outside upgraded and hope to have the master socket at the front of the house so that the wire can mostly be on the outside wall of the house.

I would like the phone situated somewhere else though.

So is it possible for my existing bt line which is very old as it hasnt been used for years due to having vm phone line to be used just for the phone? or would this old wire need to be changed as well?

cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: old phone line

Hi

I answered this on your other post in the infinity section here: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bt-infinity-installation/m-p/842662#M92696

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

cheers I saw that but I may be confused , what I would like to know is weather existing old phone line can be used for the phone only from existing phone sockets in the house.

I understand that I would need a master socket and new line into the house to carry the phone and internet into the house.

0 Ratings
Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 12

The Managed Installer will only be there to fit the VDSL Modem, not change/upgrade any overhead/external wiring.

If its causing a problem he can change it providing he has the skill level to do it otherwise he would have to get another task built for someone to come out and change it.

Otherwise as long as its not causing a problem and you're getting at least half the estimated sync than they will leave it as it is.

mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Sorry I'm not sure I understand , I just want to know if the existing wiring for my phones in the house would work with a new bt package , I realise the outside line would need upgrading and a master socket in my house installed.

But as I understand this cable Carries a Internet and phone into the house but would the rest of my houses phone line circuitry need to be upgraded also if i had the phone in another room away from the master socket

Maybe I'm completely confused here as i have never had bt infinity .

Cheers

I
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

Infinity (FTTC) works over the normal telephone line, unless there is a fault on the line or the line is incomplete anywhere no "upgrade" is required.

The Infinity installer will change the main telephone socket to one that uses a VDSL frontplate.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 12

Hi mitch84,

I expect it is FTTC (Fibre to The cabinet) fibre broadband your getting.

The short description.

FTTC fibre broadband uses your existing copper telephone line from your property to the cabinet (pcp) that is also linked to the FTTC cabinet. Then from the FTTC cabinet to the exchange it is linked via a fibre cable.

So you BT Infinity (FTTC) uses your existing copper phone line from the cabinet to your property.

Though your master socket will be altered with a Openreach VDSL master socket.

The longer description

BT Infinity is just BT Retails brandname for Fibre broadband (FTTC and FTTP based)

There are two types of Fibre broadband technologies being used at the moment. The main one is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and the other which is in trial in a few selected areas is FTTP/H (Fibre to the home/premises)

FTTC broadband (Fibre to the Cabinet) such as BT Infinity is a fibre based broadband service.

Here fibre is rolled out of the local exchange to a new FTTC cabinet that will be near your PCP (Primary Cross-Connection Point).

These cabinets are usually found on your street or on the edge of a village. The new FTTC cabinet will have broadband hardware inside it (RDSLAM [Remote Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer]). The new FTTC cabinet will be linked to the PCP.

This means that your broadband now travels from the exchange to the FTTC cabinet by a fibre connection then from the FTTC cabinet to your property using the existing copper phone line. The broadband signal travels as VDSL or VDSL2 which currently allows speeds of upto 80mb.

As FTTC uses the existing copper line for the last bit of the journey, the further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the speed will be.

If you have this FTTC broadband connection then an Openreach engineer will need to replace your Master socket to a Openreach VDSL Filtered Master socket and a Openreach fibre Modem which will then connect to you BT Homehub.

So the set up is: Openreach VDSL Filtered Master socket >> Openreach fibre Modem >> BT Homehub

FTTP/H - Only curently available in certain places

FTTP/H (Fibre to the Premises/Home) broadband such as BT Infinity is a fibre connection all the way from the local exchange to your property.

The fibre will need to be installed all the way from the exchange to your property. The download speeds that you can currently get with FTTP/H is 330mbps but can increase in the future. This is currently only available to trial areas.

Also have a look at this here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

Hi mitch84,

if you have star wiring then I think it means that the engineer might have to disconnect some of the extension sockets from the star wiring system but I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. 

0 Ratings
mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

cheers guys , still a bit confusing , lol , guess I will have to wait and see.

Just one thing is it possible to have the master socket located where you desire?

0 Ratings
Cal2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Assuming I have understood the original question.

If you have an existing master socket your extensions will be wired to it, when the Infinity is installed the new faceplate will have both a DSL and voice connection, your existing extensions get connected to the voice side and carry on working as they have always done (minus any ADSL so no need for the micro-filters in the extension sockets).

0 Ratings