Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: openreach modem + independant router

Go to solution

Ok, trying to establish where the problem lies. Is it a faulty modem, a faulty Netgear or misconfiguration of Netgear. We know your broadband works ok because you can connect your HH5 directly to the phone socket and it works. The HH5 can also be connected via the modem rather than directly, if when connected in this mode you have no internet, it would suggest the problem lies with the modem. If the HH5/modem combination works OK, we are left with either a faulty Netgear or misconfiguration of Netgear.

So, if you connect from the SSFP to the DSL port of the Modem and then from LAN1 port of the Modem to the red WAN port of the HH5 do you have internet?

BJC1
Beginner
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
HH5 is in place of openreach modem but works straight away so not an issue with line. Does that make sense?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

No, as I have said, you need to connect the HH5 via the modem rather than directly to verify if the modem is working. Connect as I described in last post. We have already established your line is ok, we now need to establish if the modem is faulty by using a known working HH5.

0 Ratings
BJC1
Beginner
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution
Licquorice, will now have to test that theory when I get home either tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for all your help/advice so far. Can I come back to you once tried setup?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Yes, if I'm not about somebody will help.

0 Ratings
BJC1
Beginner
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution
Thank you
0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Hi BJC1

If the openreach modem is ok and has no issue....

Just  checking the "Spaghetti" is  all set up  correctly with  Lan 1 on the Openreach Modem  to the  Internet Port on the Netgear.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25343/~/how-do-i-cable-my-nighthawk-x6-r8000-router%3F

I'd try a factory reset on the netgear and once its all  "wired back up"  make sure the openreach modem is powered on/set up first and all the lights are settled before switching on the Netgear as per the ^ Netgear set up steps^ (1 to 6 )

For the infinity pppoe settings try:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com   ( username that clones the hub5 )

password                                 ( the word "password" is recommended in bt's set up guides)

*Just a Though on the modem ?-

Is the Openreach modem an unlocked HG612 3B or is it just a normal model ?

If its an unlocked hg612 3b then the netgear's IP address should be changed so something like the home hubs 192.168.1.254

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

The default IP for this router is 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the OR fibre modem 😉

Change your router IP to something else e.g. 192.168.1.2 and it will work.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@anthonyUK wrote:

The default IP for this router is 192.168.1.1 which is the same as the OR fibre modem 😉

Change your router IP to something else e.g. 192.168.1.2 and it will work.

It won't matter as long as the LAN2 port isn't connected to a LAN port on the router. The modem will be connecting to the WAN side of the router in bridge mode not the LAN. Of course it won't hurt to change the address.

BJC1
Beginner
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

The guys involved with helping me on this site have been fantastic, I appreciate their remaining with me to tal me trough te issues, which I may add have now been resolved. Thanks all

0 Ratings