cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

openreach white modem probs

hi all just got bt infinity in yesterday and its fine,if i leave my pc on it wont loss connection but as soon as i shut pc down then  back on later i have to reboot the openreach box to get the internet on,all blue lights are on and all the 3 lights on the openreach box are on but still have to reboot it everytime any one got any ideas please

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: openreach white modem probs

are you connecting by wireless or ethernet if wireless it sounds like you wireless card is shutting down you should not have to start the hub or modem in fact that will cause you reduced speed problems if you keep doing that
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

hi john46 thanks for the help but im wired,i just dont seem to get stable connection and im scared to switch my pc of now but the installer has put the homehub sitting on top of the openreach modem so i dont no if it could be that

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 9

They are supposed to wall mount the modem not stack them up
that will cause overheating
stand the modem on its edge away from the homehub
you can switch off and on all you like
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

i would not leave the hub and modem like that keep them separate and preferably fix the hub to a wall so it can get plenty of ventilation around it
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

thanks will try,it seems to be lossing connection even with pc on now but all lights are blue on hub and all lights are on on the modem
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 9

I have had the exact same issue, I have a new homehub coming Monday from BT as I suspect this is the issue, over the last 3 days I have been directly connected to the Openreach white modem via Ethernet PPPOE connection and have had no issues. I suggest you try this out if you're confident enough to do so.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

thanks UrbanGrunt im not that good with networking but if you could explain a bit more how to do this i wil give it a try please,and thanks to all for the help,ive moved the modem away from the hub and its on the wall now so will see how that goes till tomorrow,

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Sure, I'm new to this too but this is how I got it to connect.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4:  Connect to the internet (the top option) then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5:  Username Internet@btbroadband.com and the password as broadband

Step6: connect, for some reason it may say that it cannot connect, just keep pressing try again if this happens and it will eventually connect.

If you don’t get any problems while connected like this it’s likely that your homehub is causing stability issues as I think mine was, my best advice would be to contact the mods about this as they are very good at sorting problems.

I hope this helps.