walbax
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

out of sync

Go to solution

Hello community forum. This is my first post. I hope I'm doing it correctly. Sorry it's so long but I wanted to get all the relevant details in.

Can anyone help me please?

I returned home from internet-free holiday 3 Oct 2016. Emails sent and received as normal via MS Outlook. Last one 4 Oct.

Tried to log in to MyBT. Message on screen that I had to change password because account blocked. Changed password and was able to log in to My BT. Changed password on Outlook to match and server settings as per BT instructions.

Tried to access my emails on Outlook and on BT website. Neither worked.

Rang BT, spoke to various people over many days and also had online chats. Constant repetition of the problem to different employees. Finally, after several attempts, email experts on level/tier 2 enabled access to my emails BUT only online at bt.com.

MS Outlook still didn't work. BT said this was not their problem.

Paid for my computer technician to try and fix it. He spent an hour on my computer at home, then took it to his workshop and spent more time on it but he couldn't solve the problem. He tried everything.

3 different email clients on 3 different computers were not able to access my email via MyBT.

Common denominator is BT. Surely then this problem was created by BT somewnere along the line whilst the experts were enabling access to my email account via MyBT.

The problem remains unresolved after almost a month. BT have washed their hands of it, though I'm convinced they created it.

What can I do? It is all so depressing.

Any advice will be gratefully received. Thank you.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
walbax
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: out of sync

Go to solution

Hi. I'm disappointed nobody can help with my problem but not really surprised, since even my computer man couldn't fix it.

There's another problem now and I know from these pages that others have had it too.

I send an email using the BT website and I get the message that it's successfully been sent. However the person I send it to doesn't receive it. We're both ...@btinternet.com so my logic says that must make it straightforward for BT. It doesn't happen every time but there must be lots and lots of "lost" emails floating around out there in cyber space!

A friend has advised me to set up a gmail account to get round my difficulties, so that's what I'll do now.

Thanks for reading. I just hope that my frustrating experiences with BT prove useful to somebody somehow! 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

@walbax wrote:

Tried to log in to MyBT. Message on screen that I had to change password because account blocked. Changed password and was able to log in to My BT. Changed password on Outlook to match and server settings as per BT instructions.

MS Outlook still didn't work. BT said this was not their problem.

Did you also change the password for the email account?

You would have passwords stored in three different places. 

• BT ID password
  • BT email account password (one for each email account linked to the BT ID)
  • Outlook email client stored login password (one for each email account being accessed from Outlook)

It sounds like you changed the BT ID password and the stored password in Outlook, but not the password for the actual email account you are trying to access? So now Outlook is out of sync with the email account.

For BT Mail you can login to the webmail interface using the BT ID and then click on the following.

Settings > General > To manage your email addresses - Visit My BT >

From there you can change the passwords for each individual email account. You can make them match the BT ID password if you want to keep things simple.

Note: The BT ID allows webmail access to all the linked email accounts without the need to enter each email account password, you just need to enter the higher level BT ID password. This can be a bit confusing and allows things to get out of sync. In contrast Outlook needs to login to the email accounts directly and can't be used to access a BT ID. 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Note that some customers like to purposely keep the BT ID password and BT email account(s) password(s) different for security reasons. As well as giving the webmail access the BT ID allows access to view or update account/package/billing information via MyBT so it could be thought sensible to always use a different password to any of those used for BT email accounts (just in case they get hacked).

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry. I'd given up on the forum but just got a notification about your replies, umpire.

Thank you so much.

I had no idea there were 3 different places that passwords were stored. I'm not sure I understand everything you've said but I'll follow your instructions and see if that changes anything. Fingers crossed!

0 Ratings
Duke2000
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

I have had the same problem for 3 weeks, I have contacted BT on several occasions. I have changed the passwords for my 5 e-mail accounts using MyBT on the e-mail section which lists 5 of 11 used and can logged into webmail with these new passwords, but all other IMAP or POP clients will not work with these new passwords only very old passwords. I know these are not all BT ID as I cannot logged into MyBT with them. The system does not syncing changes for these passwords to the e-mail servers

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

I thought I'd try making all my passwords the same to see if that worked.

I was asked to enter my current email password (I had no idea until I came on this forum that it could be different from my BT ID password) and I tried three different previous passwords.

All incorrect, apparently! After a 20 minute lock out I tried three even older passwords and - guess what - all incorrect. I have no idea what password they've got stored for this as I am unaware of using any other, so I went to Help and tried to reset it, choosing the mobile phone option to receive the information they said they'd send, only to be told I'd entered four incorrect passwords, so I'm locked out again!

The saga continues. I am not a stupid person but am I being particularly thick/naive about passwords? I certainly feel totally inept here.

I have a phone call from the BT email team booked for tomorrow, so I shall again relate the history to date and keep everything crossed. What a nightmare!

0 Ratings
Duke2000
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

I take it the password that you changed to works with the webmail on the BT website. Mine did, but then they would not work with the e-mail clients on Windows, IOS and Android. When I spoke with the BT help desk on five seperate occasions, they kept telling me it was a problem of Microsoft, Google and Apple, even though I explained my old password still worked with these. What worry me is these old password may have been leaked in the Yahoo hack from when the e-mails were BTYahoo. The BT help desk do not seem willing to deal with e-mail clients application and as far as they are concerned are happy if you can log in via webmail which is inconvenient for most people who have smart phone which should work. This is a major security problem waiting to happen if it affect a lot of people. A mod needs to look into this problem, as if hackers can get access to e-mail addresses, they could comprise all website using these e-mail addresses, simply by performing a password reset request.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@Duke2000 wrote:

I take it the password that you changed to works with the webmail on the BT website. Mine did, but then they would not work with the e-mail clients on Windows, IOS and Android. When I spoke with the BT help desk on five seperate occasions, they kept telling me it was a problem of Microsoft, Google and Apple, even though I explained my old password still worked with these.

Interesting what you described.

I would think of the normal set up as something like this, with passwords indicated in brackets.

BT ID - emailXXX@anyprovider.com (xxxxxx)

> email1@btinternet.com (aaaaaa)  <--->  email client account1 (aaaaaa)

> email2@btinternet.com (bbbbbb)  <--->  email client account2 (bbbbbb)

> email3@btinternet.com (cccccc)  <--->  email client account3 (cccccc)

Noting that.

• The BT ID userid doesn't have to be one of your BT email addresses, though it can be if you want to do that.
  • The BT ID password doesn't have to match one of your BT email passwords, though it can if want to do that.
  • Any client prog/app is accessing the BT email accounts directly and doesn't care about your BT ID.
  • Any client prog/app accessing BT email accounts obviously needs to use the matching email passwords.

From the problem you have described it sounds as though BT could actually be storing two copies of the BT email passwords on their system with one copy being used when you try to login via the webmail interface (not using the BT ID), and another copy being used when you try to login via an email client prog/app? It sounds like the webmail copy was updated correctly when you changed the email passwords, but not the other copy. All just pure guesswork from me though.

Out of interest a few weeks ago I changed all my BT email passwords via the web interface and things worked as expected. My PC and mobile email clients started reporting login failures due to incorrect passwords, I updated the clients to use the new passwords, and everything worked fine again. So I didn't experience the problem you described.

I was using Thunderbird on Windows and K-9 on Android, though in theory the particular client program/app shouldn't really matter.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

From the problem you have described it sounds as though BT could actually be storing two copies of the BT email passwords on their system with one copy being used when you try to login via the webmail interface (not using the BT ID), and another copy being used when you try to login via an email client prog/app? It sounds like the webmail copy was updated correctly when you changed the email passwords, but not the other copy. All just pure guesswork from me though.

I have long held this view and I'm convinced the lack of synchronisation on occasion is the root of many login problems.

0 Ratings