Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 20

Re: out of sync

Go to solution

@walbax wrote:

... so I went to Help and tried to reset it, choosing the mobile phone option to receive the information they said they'd send, only to be told I'd entered four incorrect passwords, so I'm locked out again!

Did you try the webmail Settings route I described earlier, or were you trying to reset your BT ID password, rather than your email account password?

Are you locked out of logging into MyBT which would indicate that it's your BT ID account that is now locked?

I don't remember the need to send any information to a mobile phone or other device when just changing an email account password. 

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your advice, all those who have commented. I understand most of it.

This is the situation to date. The lock-out was temporary but the email team at BT had to re-activate one account, which had been "unavailable". After several more fruitless conversations with BT about email clients, I finally convinced an advisor to take remote control of my computer to try and access my emails via my MS Outlook. I had already tried changing all my passwords to the same one for MyBT, both my email accounts, the direct mail login and Outlook without success. The advisor had me change password AGAIN in all those places and then tried for a good half an hour to access my emails from Outlook. She fiddled about (expertly it seemed) with all the settings on it but was unable to fix the problem. She accepted that it was caused on the 5th October when BT demanded that I change my password, and she was very apologetic about not being able to solve it. 

The problem must surely, as you say, lie with password records at BT but they won't help any further because I can now access all my mail on the website. I would of course much prefer to use Outlook so I told the advisor (and the complaints man who was regularly ringing me to ask about progress) to tell the BT engineers to look into it but who knows if they will. 

I still cannot use my Outlook. 

I will print out all your comments and show them to my computer expert who might possibly be able to use them to fix the problem. I live in hope.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Duke2000
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Walbax,

You got exactly the same result as I did with the help desk, with final outcome being "you can use webmail and that they cannot help with any third party e-mail clients including Outlook, Windows Mail, IOS (iPhone/iPad)". In most cases I was speaking with an Indian call centre both over the phone and through we chat, I even managed to get a direct number to the UK help desk but they were little help also. Being an IT expert I even tried logging in directly to the e-mai, server but this as I have said previously for me was using very old passwords for all five of my accounts and was refused with the updated passwords. I even tried leaving it a few days in the hope they would sync, but weeks later the passwords are not updating. What is the good of been forced to change password which only work with webmail, when if my passwords had/have been leaked they can continue to use with all e-mail clients using these old passwords.

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Hi Duke2000,

I totally agree. I just wish BT would accept that they have caused a massive problem by demanding all these new passwords, and do something about it.

I am not a computer expert at all. I'm only semi computer literate in fact but my logic tells me that BT should be able to fix a problem they themselves created.

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

It's fixed!

I have read so many posts here about password changes and BT password records causing problems that I decided this had to be the root of my own problem. 

I thought I'd give it one more try so I went to account settings on Outlook and tried old passwords. (I was glad for once that I don't throw stuff away!) The fourth one I tried managed to log on to the server. However I got a message on screen saying that the mail server protocol had switched from POP3 to IMAP and said I had to create a new account with the same email address. I did that (not manually configuring anything) and everything sprang to life. 

I've now got to organise all the mail but at least the system's working again.

Thank you all for stressing the failings of BT regarding passwords. This encouraged me to persevere.

I shall continue to read these forum pages. Very useful!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Don't understand why you got the POP3/IMAP message, both are supported. I suspect just re-creating the account was sufficient.

0 Ratings
Duke2000
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
Hi Walbax,

So you are working again with your old password? I know you have marked your problem as solved, but if we cannot update our e-mail passwords this could cause a problem if passwords are leaked, especially if you use the same password for multiple site. I was hoping someone at BT would comment on this problem and suggest a fix.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

@Duke2000 wrote:
Hi Walbax,

I was hoping someone at BT would comment on this problem and suggest a fix.

That would require somebody in the BT mail team knowing what they are doing!!! Ain't no such person.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

@walbax wrote:
... I got a message on screen saying that the mail server protocol had switched from POP3 to IMAP and said I had to create a new account with the same email address. I did that (not manually configuring anything) and everything sprang to life.

That does seem a bit strange. BT have always supported both the POP3 and IMAP4 protocols for accessing BT email accounts from client progs, hence the BT help pages list the settings for both. You should be able to use whichever you prefer. IMAP4 is the newer and more powerful one which allows multiple devices to be kept in sync with the email account folders/data on the central server.

As already mentioned though, if you are having to use an old version of the password with email client progs then your problem has only been partially resolved. From a security point of view that is clearly not acceptable as somebody else might get hold of that old password and could then access your email account even if you changed the password again. 

If BT ring up to ask if your problem has been resolved then I would be inclined to tell them no as there is still the issue with a password store somewhere seemingly not being updated when you change the password. Duke2000 seems to be experiencing exactly the same problem.

0 Ratings
walbax
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

I marked my first post as solved because I originally just wanted my Outlook to sync up with BT again and now it does.

I did try just recreating the account before but it didn't work, so it wasn't just that.

I tried all the old passwords before too but I was trying POP3 manual configuration. That didn't work either, so when I got a result letting Outlook configure the IMAP plus an old password, I was pleased to get a functioning email client back. I don't understand the POP3/IMAP things so I'll have to do some more research there.

You are quite right though that this does not solve the bigger problem concerning passwords and I shall be certain to tell BT. I have to call them anyway about my bill!

0 Ratings