cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex875
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 34

Re: over the last 2 days my speed has been a constant 0.13 mb/s

the reason i have to move it downstairs is im having italian sky fitted later and they need to plug ethernet cable in to get hd picture. i have looked behing master socket regarding taking orange wire out and the wire in number 3 is white not orange so i have left it. there is 3 wires in total 2, 3, 5, and in extension socket there is about 7 wires? any help would be great. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 34

normally the connection on terminal 3 is the bellwire and the main phone wires are on 2 & 5.  The extension socket has probably also got connections on 2, 3 and 5 but that extension socket will have wires from master and then probably more wires as it feeds another extension socket. 

All these wires/connections are probably causing noise on your line and reducing your broadband speed.  have you noticed if the noise margei and errors have increased now you have moved from test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
alex875
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 34

i dont understand this.  have you noticed if the noise margei and errors have increased now you have moved from test socket?

i have now removed the number 3 wire from master and done speed test gone down to 1.7 now.

shall i remove all wires from number 3 on extension where hub is plugged?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 34

well moving from the test socket has reduced you speed from 5mb and I thought that reduction would be associated with an increase in your noise margin and probably more errors

it's difficult as I am not there looking at your socket but as I said terminal 3 is tha standard connection for the bellwire which was used to make the phone ring.  this is no longer required and often is the cause of noise on the line.  here is some info  http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings