cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

parental controls/DNS connection problems

I have read many, many posts about the problems people have had with BT's parental controls and BT DNS Servers.

Other devices in my household are connecting perfectly through the BT router.  But one laptop is showing the message that says I am attempting to connect using a dNS server outside of the BT network.

I do have both Web Protect and BT Parental Controls running - and I want to keep them running.

I have followed the instructions from the BT support person on the phone, to ensure that the Internet Protocol Version 4 properties are correct (ie. Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically).

They were already enabled, so there has been nothing to do there other than restart several times to see whether that fixed it.  It did not. 

That BT support person then told me there was nothing more he could do for me and suggested I contact my laptop manufacturer.  I didn't think that was very helpful, particularly given the frustrations of so many people on this forum and elsewhere on the internet specifically relating to this issue.

However, I have contacted the laptop people.  They gave me a couple of updates to install, which I have done. 

But no change.  The laptop still comes up with the same DNS/parental control message.

I am at my wits end and very frustrated.

Can someone help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: parental controls/DNS connection problems

I would check the laptop with MalwareBytes in case it has been infected with a DNS hi-jacker.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

Hi

I've spent the past few days trying to solve this one,(thanks for your suggestion Licquorice, I've started with a full McAfee scan and that picked up a couple of minor things which it has dealt with.  But I'd prefer to avoid using something unknown till the BT people suggest it, just to be on the safe side).

But I've also checked the validity of the IP addresses that are listed within my problem laptop (using a site called ipvoid.com) - I assume these are the DNS addresses BT's parental control service is identifying and therefore refusing to connect to  - the addresses are 82.163.143.157 and 82.163.142.159. 

I've done a bit of research on them, and the first one comes up as Green Team Internet Ltd    (????), and, oh look!  The second one is also Green Team Internet Ltd.  And if you google this company, there's a site where some very similar problem IP addresses are discussed.  https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/the-mystery-of-82-163-143-172-and-82-163-142-174/

I'm beginning to suspect that despite the BT engineers protests that the DNS address could not possibly have been changed/hijacked, these IP addresses suggests that's exactly what has happened.

Sorry, I'm probably not using the right wording for all this, so I hope this makes sense.  Have I followed the trail properly?  And at this point, how do I make things better?

I there a BT engineer out there that can help me now?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I repeat my suggestion, MalwareBytes will often pickup malware that anti virus does not, it is perfectly reputable and safe. https://www.malwarebytes.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Unless I am missing something, if you are not wanting to do anything until the BT people suggested it I really can not see the point of you posting on the forum.

If you are only having the problem on one device, it is more than likely that it is the device that is at fault rather than BT's systems.

I agree with licquorice about using the free version of Malwarebytes. I would also use ADWCleaner which will pick up anything that Malwarebytes might miss.

Once you have done that and cleared any malware that was found post back.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Thanks for both your help.  I was not trying to ignore your suggestions but have seen problems on this forum being referred on to BT people so assumed that could happen.  Maybe not.

Anyway, I have run Malbyteware on the laptop and nothing at all came up.  A big fat zero.

I will try the 2nd suggestion now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

I meant malwarebytes obviously

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

I have now run Adwcleaner and it has come up with 118 threats!

Being a novice, I don't know what any of them mean, and whether I should just get rid of everything.  The two things listed in the first tab, Services, are LavasortTcpService and SearchProtectionService.  But there's stuff in the other tabs, including Folders, Files, Registry and Chrome.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

The two things you mention, SearchProtectionService and LavasortTcpService are not part of any Windows installation.  There is no trace of anything resembling them here in either Windows 7 or Windows 10.

So let the program remove what it has found and reboot/restart Windows when it's finished.  Absolute worst case scenario is you may need to reinstall a browser.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

I would let ADWCleaner sort out the stuff it has found and take it from there. 

0 Ratings