Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

pcp cabinet questions

Go to solution

Hello

This is more of a question for my friend rather than me.

His internet situation is not the best.

If I use the DSL checker to check his speeds it shows that he is connected to a PCP cabinet 1.5 away from his home along with the exchange being about 1.8 miles from his house, He gets about 4mbs on ADSL and if he got fibre he could get up to 6.

I'm a bit confused though because up his road there is another PCP cabinet about 0.5 miles from his house and yet he isn't connected to that one, further more I can't find any houses in the surrounding area that says that they're connected to that PCP cabinet. Am I missing something? because if he could be connected to that PCP cabinet then he could possibly get better internet. I could be totally wrong but I just want him and I to understand how these things work.

Thank you,

Remo

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: pcp cabinet questions

Go to solution

You can not change cabinets. Openreach will not do that as a matter of course just to give better speeds to one customer.

See FAQ

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
So my friend could possibly have an exchange only line since he isn't connected to the green cabinet closest to him? I'm just still a bit confused because I can't find any information about that cabinet closest to him. Sorry if I'm missing something here.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

No, it won't be an EO line, you said he was connected to a cabinet 1.5km away. The second cabinet may have been provided after the first to serve extra premises. It's impossible to move one circuit from one cabinet to another, it requires a complete network re-arrangement to do that. Sometimes infill cabinets are provided and Openreach re-arrange the network to give extra speed to a community but that will either happen or it won't, nothing your friend can do to influence that.

Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Ok, thank you for your explanation. It's helped me learn a lot 🙂
0 Ratings