cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NBELIOT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

people from abroad are astounded when you tell them you pay £60 a month for 200kbps broadband

we thought england was civilised & advanced they say

no you tell them -- it's got 3rd world telecom with criminal prices -- and non existant customer service

don't come here you have it so lucky

in SF california broadband rates are 1000kbs for half a million people

thats 100x the top speeds here

what is going on?

It's taken me ten minutes to get online to post this

still I haven't had my broadban sorted -- I may as well go back to dial-up -- SIXTY POUNDS A MONTH I AM PAYING

thats after the NIGHTMARE BT put me through all last year it CONTINUES -- I get NO SERVICE -- they LAUGH AT ME they DENY I AM  A CUSTOMER

WHAT IS GOING ON?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
NBELIOT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: people from abroad are astounded when you tell them you pay £60 a month for 200kbps broadband

BT keep the service minimal so you think you have to pay for decent service

you should get that anway

also -- they have and will charge £1 a gigabyte (increased arbitarily from 70p some months ago) becaus they can because they will

they do this to punish the customer it's arbitary it's cynical it's price gouging

just like putting back the evening line rate to 7pm recently --

I have noticed that if you are on the lower rate (not maximal) broadband they will make sure you have fast broadband so they can extract that £1 a gigabyte from you even when the internet is not being used at 3am in the morning

it's like charging for fresh air -- they can and they will because it's price fixing

absolutely disgusting

0 Ratings
NBELIOT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: people from abroad are astounded when you tell them you pay £60 a month for 200kbps broadband

and before they complain about my criticism here --- 

I am a fully paying BT customer -- this is a discussion FORUM for BT products

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

@NBELIOT1010 wrote:

in SF california broadband rates are 1000kbs for half a million people

thats 100x the top speeds here

Hi.

That last line is just not true. Also 1000kbps is the same as a 1Mbps service "here".

Please can you provide more detail for the above post, whish ISP and the actual speed. There are a variety of services in California, some of them can provide cable/fibre optic connections like BT and inded Virgin Media. However their rates are not actually as fast as BT Infinity or VM.

0 Ratings
NBELIOT1010
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

"In a post on its corporate blog, Google said it planned to build and test a high-speed fiber optic broadband network capable of allowing people to surf the Web at a gigabit a second, or about 100 times the speed of many broadband connections. This trial could be offered in several communities and extend to as many as 500,000 people."

NYT Feb 2010

Americans INVEST we are stuck with 3rd world telecom

0 Ratings
ITtech
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Have you actually tried anything yourself to sort your broadband connection out? Segregation, decent cables, looking for sources of impulse noise etc??
Click the star if my posts have helped.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@NBELIOT1010 wrote:

"In a post on its corporate blog, Google said it planned to build and test a high-speed fiber optic broadband network capable of allowing people to surf the Web at a gigabit a second, or about 100 times the speed of many broadband connections. This trial could be offered in several communities and extend to as many as 500,000 people."

NYT Feb 2010

Hi. Thanks for the "link".

However, as my last post in this topic as you've not actually provided any real evidence of your problem if you don't mind me being frank, these small pockets of high speed test beds are just that - small pockets. There are some nations around the world with very high speed networks, mostly government sponsored etc. Please be aware that BT are not the only supplier of BB in the UK, there are others - e.g. Virgin Media - but they seem to only target profitable centres, and have no where near the coverage for their high speed stuff (up to 100Mbps I believe in some areas).

0 Ratings
ronin22
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

old bt copper wire and pound shop extension leads will never give you a decent speed, my fibre optic connection is so fast its frightening, almost in the 4th dimention, an absolute bargain for the few pence I pay a month, and such nice people.

ronin22Smiley Happy

In the end we will all be star dust.
Then start all over again.
0 Ratings
blooty
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

and NBELIOT1010.. if you bothered to do a bit of digging around you would also see that BT are trialling gigabit connections
If i've given you a helpful answer please rate me by clicking the rating star to the left 😄
BT Total Broadband Option 4 - London - Pimlico Exchange
0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

@NBELIOT1010 wrote:

NYT Feb 2010

So what will the other 7 million in San Francisco get (presuming this is the same reference as the 500,000 in SF getting "1000 Kbs" in the first message)?

There is a tendency with the press to be shown an area of a country that has a high speed fibre connection then write as if the whole country is getting that speed everywhere.

If BT made a similar announcement that they were doing a high speed trial around some part of London then all the UK papers would do is complain that someone on Muclkle Flugga will not be getting the same speed.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings