cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

phone and broadband on same line

Go to solution

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and am am not always up to speed with computer stuff, so apologies if this is a silly question !

For years, we have had separate lines for phone and broadband, so are therefore paying 2 line rental charges.  If you have the computer and the phone on the same line, is it still the case that when you are accessing the internet, you can't use the phone ?  (We also have a router.)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: phone and broadband on same line

Go to solution

You only need one line for phone and broadband, they work independently of each other, you can still use the phone when the broadband is connected.

I assume that you are talking about BT Broadband, and not another ISP?

It was only when people used dial-up Internet connections, that you could not use the phone at the same time.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi Keith - that's amazing - so we've been paying for 2 phone lines when we didn't need to ? I should therefore cancel one, and get BT to put all on one line, yes? OMG, we're dinosaurs!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Further to Keiths comments; its a fair mistake, on the old dial up you would have needed two lines as you couldnt have made/received a phone call if you were online. [Although you could have given/used your BB Talk number].

Yes, you only need one BB activated line to use BB and make phone calls.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Just cancel the one without the broadband. If you plug a phone into the broadband microfilter, you should have a working phone line which you can use as well as the broadband. You can check the phone number by dailling 1470 17070.

See this picture below. Your phone simply plugs into the other socket on the microfilter, and your broadband router goes in the one as shown.

Typical ADSL broadband connection

0 Ratings