Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Limasehi
Beginner
Message 1 of 29

phone line fault - scandalous customer service

Go to solution

My mother's phone line is down - Builders working across the road from her property brought down the line with large machinery. They are aware they damaged the line but have done nothing about it. I have seen both ends of the severed wire which normally crosses the road high up.

I became aware of the fault on Tuesday 10 July at about 10pm when I went to make my routine call to mum to check she was ok - She is 83, lives alone in an isloated property, has Multiple Sclerosis, and has a burgalr alarm and a careline panic alram through the phone line, which obviously aren't working either.

I reported the fault that evening, and the following morning the foreman from the builders came to tell my mum what happened.

I have been checking the progress of the fault report and phoned a couple of times, and BT insist that there is no fault on the line, nothing wrong with the line, and that the fault must be within my mum's house. And the earliest appointment an engineer can come out is 23rd July!!!!!!!!!!

I phoned them back again tonight as I am raging that an 83 year old disabled lady would be left without a phone and alarm and careline alarm for that length of time. She could fall at any time or fall ill and have no way of contacting help. I have been told that the case will be referred to the welfare department as a welfare case and IF they accept it is a welfare case it will be fixed within 48 hours. Even at that then she will have been without a phone/alarm for at least 5 days

is there any way I can contact welfare department directly?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: phone line fault - scandalous customer service

Go to solution

I have flagged your post to the mods who are the only BT employees on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Its Openreach that deal with damage to external plant. You can report it here, and it may speed things up.

Report damaged or dangerous Openreach network

Your actual fault will have to be passed to Openreach via BT. If you ring BT on 0800 800 151 and explain what has happened, and your mother`s situation, you may be able to get a priority repair, bearing in mind that it could take a while for Openreach to repear the damaged external wiring.

Limasehi
Beginner
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution
thank you so much - I have reported fault to openreach
0 Ratings
Limasehi
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution
Keith - thank you very much
0 Ratings
Limasehi
Beginner
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution
thank you so much - this is so stressful as it is such a worry for me
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Id also take down the builders information so openreach can recover the costs of repairing your line.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

@Limasehi wrote:
thank you so much - I have reported fault to openreach

I am sure they will be quite interested in recovering their costs from the builders. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out quickly.

Please update this thread when the fault is fixed, or if its not sorted within the agreed timescale.

Limasehi
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Thank you Keith,

I have heard back from Openreach for confirmation of address, so hopefully there will be some action soon, and I will post when this has been resolved

0 Ratings
Limasehi
Beginner
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

it's a long term building project so the builders are not going anywhere. Don't expect this to be the last problem we have with them anyway - they have already damaged a gate as well

thanks for the reply

0 Ratings