cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grahtyl
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

phone line not working

Have just tried to make a out going call from my bt landline but can't dial out.Have got a dial tone and my broadband is as useless as normal i haven't noticed until today that it is not working.Have checked the line using the fault test,and checked the openreach master socket but still no joy. Anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong? Thanks G

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: phone line not working

If you have checked at the test socket, then the fault is external, and you will have to report it to BT as "no dial tone"

test socket.jpg

A disconnection on one wire of the external network will stop dial tone, and give poor broadband performance.

Once the dial tone is fixed, the broadband will return to normal.

0 Ratings
grahtyl
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thats what ithought iwas going to have to do, just wanted a second opinion due to still having a dialing tone and broadband working.

Thanks G

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you have dialling tone and cannot dial out, it can be caused by an exchange fault, but that would not affect broadband.

Which one of these matches your master phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg ornewnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

@grahtyl, try plugging a phone into the 'test socket' under the bottom half of your 'master socket'.

Dial 17070 option 2 'quiet line test'. Any interference on this is a fault (and will mess up your broadband absolutely) this will need to be reported to BT as a phone fault (don't mention Broadband, this will sort out Broadband when the line is fixed.)

I hope you get it sorted out soon, best regards.

0 Ratings
grahtyl
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

The first one,i have taken off the front cover and tried two different phones in the master socket one cabled and one cordless both give a dial tone and will ring in but you can't hear anyone or dial out

Thanks  G

0 Ratings