cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 16

phone noisy/broadband disconnections

i have been having problems with my phone line being noisy and disconnections from the internet. my internet provider got bt engineer to come to my house. he said there is no problem and its the router. internet provider then sends out new router but was still having same problems. so then internet provider then contacts bt again who do tests and say everything is now fine but its not !!!!!!!  have tried disconnecting everything an just putting  phone straight into test socket and its still noisy. have tried a cordless and corded phone straight into test socket, both are noisy.. phone bt and they did line checks with phones straight into test socket and also with nothing at all plugged into socket, and they say line is coming up as fine,  SO WHY DO I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS? next step would be to get engineer to call again but i am worried about being charged.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: phone noisy/broadband disconnections

are you on a package with your ISP which includes your phone or do you pay BT for your phoneline and calls?

If all in package then you need to keep on at your ISP if you pay BT for your line rental and phone calls then phone 151 and report a fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 16

hello, i have my calls and phone line with bt and a seperate internet provider

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

then report a noisy phoneline to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

@imjolly wrote:

then report a noisy phoneline to 151

yes, but here's the rub

I have had problems with a noisy line ( intermittant) for all the time I have lived at my property ( 12 years)

A conservative estimate is I have had bt engineers out at least 3/4 times a year for this problem.  Sometimes they have found a problem between the exchange and my house sometimes the line has tested clear. They have never found my own equipment to blame or suggested it which to me is not surprising as I have renewed just about everything that could have been the culprit on more than one occasion.

Since this problem  is intermittant, even when the line passed as ok they did not raise a charge untill last year.

Since then they have visited three times and found the line to be ok and have raised a charge which I have successfully had removed untill the last occasion in january 2012. I then had to escalate this issue to the CEO's office to get it removed but I was warned that if I report a fault again and the line tests clear I WILL be charged.

So, the noise has started up again the internet connection drops but when I get the line test done it registers as clear even though at times I can hardly hear the other person. One phone call can be clear the next noise on line, the next its clear again.

Have checked all the possibles within my property regarding bell wires mains cables other electronic equipment etc etc

One day I rang the fault report line spoke to a lady who ran a test, she said it was ok even though she could here all the crackling and popping on the line.

I have actually given up now since  I am not going to pay charges for an engineer to tell me the line is fine when it isn't.

Its enough of an insult to pay rental and other phone charges for a sub- standard service.

Many engineers have confided in me in the past and blame the very old equipment which is prevalent in my area and since it is a low population area there seem to be no plans to upgrade it any time soon.

So there you have it, if your line is located a long way from the exchange and the lines and equipment date back to the stone age ( 1960 in my case) then there isn't much hope of a half decent line or internet connection yet you will still be charged the same rental and other charges that people with mordern equipment pay.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

you have/had an intermittent fault and from you say still have but the problem is finding the source - many engineers appear to have failed to find the source.

that has nothing to do with the originators problem of noise on the phone line and needs to phone 151 to get it fixed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

@imjolly wrote:

you have/had an intermittent fault and from you say still have but the problem is finding the source - many engineers appear to have failed to find the source.

that has nothing to do with the originators problem of noise on the phone line and needs to phone 151 to get it fixed

seems to me the problem if not exactly comparable is  similar, noise on the line, bt engineers saying there is nothing wrong and the line testing clear even when noise can be clearly heard,

I have recordings of said noise, nobody at bt is interested

as said, crappy old infrastructure=crappy old service

they should charge a great deal less on such lines and after 12 years of problems you'd think they would be ashamed of such a miserable offering and actually get to the bottom of the problem instead of hiding behind one sided service regulation requirements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

fenix
you need to contact BT Faults again on 151 and then get them to listen to your recordings then request an engineer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 16

I have exactly the same problem
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

@bugfinder wrote:
I have exactly the same problem

then do the same contact faults on 151

0 Ratings