cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gen11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

phone problem

My phones doesn't ring I have checked all the connections and changed the telephone and it still doesn't ring, I have reported this to BT, any idear on what could be the problem?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Bluebell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: phone problem

Your problem could be the same as mine, my phone does not ring, it is completely dead, the telephone line down the road has been cut by a machine on a tractor. When tested by Bt there is no fault, people can ring and leave a message, yet the line is physically broken... explain that one..! Have a look outside and see if there are any lines down. 

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 23

'people can ring and leave a message, yet the line is physically broken... explain that one..!'

Is it BT Answer 1571 or Call Minder you have?

0 Ratings
gen11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Bt 1571.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 23

I meant Bluebell, he/she was asking how people can still leave messages. If he/she has 1571 then people can still leave messages as the service is an exchange facility, not a service out on the line or within his/her house.

If people are leaving messages on an answering machine then it is more than likely they have a cross line and their calls are going through to someone else.

0 Ratings
gen11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Maybe the same problem? people can leave me messages on 1571.

0 Ratings
Bluebell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Yes I also have Bt answer 1571, but it still does not explain why BT cannot find the fault on the line when the line is physically broken and swinging down from the pole... no connection at all.

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 23

Do you have a dial tone? Have you tired dialling 17070 from the landline and then option 1 (ring back)? The BT automated system should ring you back as soon as you have chosen option1 and ended the call. If it hasn't try it in the test socket.

Test Socket (found at master socket)

Help from BT Website:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812/c/345,353,353

If no connection at all (can't make calls and recieve calls [no dial tone]) and you have tried it in the test socket, then you can report a fault by ringing 0800 800 151.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
gen11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Hi,

I have a very old fashion socket and it doesn't have a test socket, I re tried everything earlier, just pluged in a new phone and rang the number and it doesn't ring, then plugged in the broadband connection and it still doesn't work, apart from the phone no ringing everthing else seems to work fine. I checked on line about the test socket.

0 Ratings
gen11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Hi

Just rang the 17070 and it doesn't given press 1?

0 Ratings