Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: ping on copper v ping on fibre

Go to solution

I'm afraid you are very unlikely to get a replacement.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution

I'd better!

We signed upto Infinity2 at the invitation of BT ...ie their saleman phoned us. I specifically asked 'would our ping be lower via fibre than our exsisting copper broadband? He said yes.

Therefore, given our ping is currently higher than our previous Copper conection BT have sold us product not as described via the phone and unable to preform as described for the duration of our contract (18 months)  in breach of the distance selling rules (now Consumer Contract Regulations 2014 which is in addition to the Sale of Goods Act).

As I've said in the post I've added to the G.INP post the number of people wanting to replace their type A with a type B is no doubt reletively quite small and so therefore is the cost as only customers asking for a swop get one ....and would be far out weighed by the kudos for good customer service BT would get in return!

BT becoming associated with good customer service ...remarkable!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution

Well, BT did agree to send out a new HH5 ..but couldn't guarantee it would be a type B. 

Needless to say it arrived, yesterday, and it was a ....type A. 

Do BT not opporate basic stock controls in their Depots???

It is going to be returned along with a request that another... type B ....be sent by return.

Watch this space!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution
There is no guarantee of which hub version is sent out the request for a HH5 is what they look at and also stock availability
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution
I'll keep requesting a type B ...and sending any and all type A's back until BT provide the right piece equipment as per the contract between BT and myself.

BT's inability to oporate a basic stock control/order system is their problem at their cost ...not mine.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution

Well I've got thruogh to the good folks in Newcastle.

Surprise No1: It was claimed that until I spoke to them they had not heard of this issue.

I'll just leave that there!

Anyway, the young lady was helpful enough and she and her manager went off to OpenReach to find out more and to see if they could get authorisation for my request for a HH5 B.

Surprise No2: she rang back, this morning, as promised.

OpenReach acknowledge the issue but that because they are currently working on a 'fix' it is not possible to authorise the specific mailing of a HH5 B.

We now know that...

1. BT can ...IF THEY SO CHOOSE... send out type B's. 

If anyone from BT tells you they can't ...they're talking BS.

2. BT are currently REFUSING to do so.... that is supply their customers with equipemnet that works.

Question: is it actually possible, without ripping open a HH5 A to physically change the chip-set ...to get the type A to work with G.INP???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

Your best bet would be to get a seperate modem - a lot of users have reported this to to be more line stable than the HH5 built in modem anyway - the modem you want is the HG612 3B which is available for a modest fee (about £20) from many online auction sites that these forums won't let me name, you could also then do an online search to get new 'firmaware' for the modem (kitz.co.uk)  that would provide ypu with more advanced features and statistics that for some reason BT don't want you to access. (or buy an 'unlocked' version of this modem if you dont want to DIY).

Your existing HH5 then just becomes a slave attached to the modem.

Some people here will tell you that BT (or rather OpenReach) will not offer you any support on this set up - this is a lie ... and for my 2nd (boost) engineers visit I left an Unlocked Modem in place and we poured over the log files to try and work out what was going wrong and more importantly 'when'.

I await censorship again...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution
Ok, good news/bad news

The good: we appeared to get the 'fix' sometime between 01:00am Thursday and when I got home from work bout 18:00.

All appears to be back to where they where
Download 47.5 from 45.5
Upload 9.5 from 7.5
And most important of all
Ping 15/16 from 25/49

The bad

Well more a disappointment really. Others have reported that the 'fix' ie G.INP working on type A Hubs has given them a better service than before ie faster down/upload speeds and even lower ping. I had hoped that working G.INP would do the same for us. Ours is just back to where it was.

I'm gonna give it a week or so before closing this thread ...just in case 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution
Bit longer than a week but anyway...

Line has been and ping stayed constant at 15/16ms. Until for the last few days it been at 9/10 ms. Not sure where this speed bump came from or if it will last. We'll see.

The original issue though appears resolved.
0 Ratings