Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

ping on copper v ping on fibre

Go to solution

We joined Inifinity 2 on the 15th January just gone. Our ping was a fantastic rock solid 15ms and remained so til the second week of March. Since then it has varied between 25ms (minimum) and 49ms (maximum).

Now that doesn't sound alot but that represents a minimum increase of 60%. Bt phoned us to sign us up to Infinity 2 and the guy on the phone assured us our ping would be lower that our exsisting copper Adsl  connection. Our previous BT Adsl copper connection pinged at 22ms. So we now have a fibre connection with a higher latency than the previous copper one!

In various phone calls and emails with the Tier 1 people I've been referred to the some poor bloke who fixes computers on contract! We've had our session restarted. i've been assured that they, the Tier 1 people, were going to try a "something" (but never had an explation or even name given to what this "something" was)... which did absolutely nothing of course.

Do Bt realise there are 3 (three) measures of speed that may concern their cutomers... and because my thing is online fps ..I only care about latency/ping. And for the sceptical, yes there is a difference between 15 ...22...25...49ms when gaming!

If DLM was applied in March then surely it should have brought the latency down by now ...some seven weeks later. And if it hasn't then whatever is causing this ongoing line instabilty needs to be investigated ...because it wasn't there for the first six weeks!

I've asked the Tier 1 ppl to refer this to Tier 2 five or six times as I understand a profile reset might resolve this issue. So far they obfuscated to the point where we are now the point of the phone call to me to 'talk through my problem' has been promised but which I have not received.

Any suggestions... I was promised lower latency on fibre broadband but it's now higher than the previous copper broadband. Is this right? 

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: ping on copper v ping on fibre

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

which exchange and cab are you on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Woodbridge exchange.

Cab?

Do you mean (street) Cabinet ...in which case it's the one on the B 1438 at the junction of St Audreys Rd. Melton, Suffolk... it's only just been fibre enabled so it should all be in pretty good nick!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete your number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

which hub do you have HH5 a or b

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

HH5

Results will have to wait til later as I'm at work right now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

you need to check whether hh5a or hh5b

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution
Will do.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

@fingerbob69 wrote:

HH5

Results will have to wait til later as I'm at work right now.

It's just an availability checker, only needs a phone number input, can be done from anywhere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

Except We've been on that BT number since 2006!

0 Ratings