If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
plus91uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 242 of 366

Re: planning to get myself an unlocked openreach modem

Hi

Thanks for that but still nothing i got a reply from the seller he say 192.168.0.1 but still no luck i dont want to complain in case i am doing something wrong is there a step by step guide anywhere 

0 Ratings
plus91uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 243 of 366

Still no luck in trying to connect has anybody got any ideas on how i can check see if this is a unlocked modem can i connect direct to another computer with out it been connected through the home HH5 or does it need to be conncted to internet 

thanks 

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 244 of 366

Connect it to a PC using an ethernet cable to LAN2. It doesn't need to be connected to the master socket.

Set the PC to have an IP address of 192.168.0.12 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and set the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Then open a browser and browse to http://192.168.0.1

If that doesn't work remove the cable from LAN2 and try it in LAN1 - see if that works.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
plus91uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 245 of 366

Hi

thanks ray that worked so i know the modem is unlocked but how can i check the stats when its connected normally 

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 246 of 366

This any good? http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12111.msg229123#msg229123

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 247 of 366

if using a Mac open the terminal, on a PC click start then type cmd into the search bar. Once the black box is open type telnet 192.168.0.1 then

Login : admin

Password : admin

ATP> sh

then type xdslcmd info --stats and you'll get all the stats you need.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 248 of 366

Its the "bt get stat" command on the eci that spills out a load of line info.

"There is something about iptables/masquerade methods , to aviod using a switch...." 

Finally figured it out - you  have to type the settings into a  capable router's admin via telnet.

"ifconfig eth0 netmask  & Iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o eth0 -dj MASQUERADE"

Jo_Seph_B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 249 of 366

Hello all.  I'm a new BT customer, just moved out of a cable area, and I'm on infinity 2, although getting the speeds of 1 so might downgrade.

Stumbled on this thread after googling issues with HH5 and disconnects.  Have just ordered an ECI 1B off that popular aution site you all keep mentioning.  Hoping it makes the line more stable and stops the disconnects. New modem should be with me tomorrow so will keep you posted. I've got a cable router from where I used to live so this should do fine plugged into the ECI modem.  I then plan to keep the homehub as a pure wireless access point as despite its disconnecting issue the Wifi is very quick indeed for a ISP supplied device.

One quick question.  As the connection stays up, does your IP remain the same for longer or does it still change about 2 times a day?  I use a DDNS services to keep my dynamic IP and a domain name in sync but its not able to keep up with the constant changes.

This thread is an invaluable resource, thanks to everyone for the continued updates and commentary.  As someone who's just jumped in it really is nice to see such detailed testing and feedback. Normally these sort of threads stop at 2 pages with no clear resolution!  This one keeps on giving.  Top work!

Cheers

Joe.

0 Ratings
Soyuz
Contributor
Message 250 of 366

Which openreach modem do they now supply on new installs for other isp's or are they issued to match the cabinets ? 

0 Ratings