Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 281 of 366

Re: planning to get myself an unlocked openreach modem

Since yesterdays factory reset 

13:52:30, 10 Feb. ( 35.540000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A)
13:52:11, 10 Feb. ( 15.990000) System start
20:38:49, 09 Feb. ( 35.040000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A)
20:38:30, 09 Feb. ( 15.310000) System start
14:28:24, 09 Feb. ( 33.590000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A)
14:28:05, 09 Feb. ( 14.310000) System start

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 282 of 366

Chances are this dc issue is much more widespread than people realise, but as more people starting using the net to stream/download or play online games, you're going to see the number of complaints rise.

We can expect that a HH5 isn't going to be the best on the market of course, but it should have a stable connection! It's just rediculous that the many people in this thread are having to resort to buy £150 routers just to have a stable connection.

Has this been on Watchdog yet!?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 283 of 366

@TommyC wrote:

We can expect that a HH5 isn't going to be the best on the market of course, but it should have a stable connection! It's just rediculous that the many people in this thread are having to resort to buy £150 routers just to have a stable connection.

... or a £20 Openreach modem and connect the HH5 to it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 284 of 366

^What gg30340 says .... on a second hand modem^:))

Also consider a 3rd party router if you've not got the tv box thingy . 

Doesn't have to be the latest and greatest ......My old tomato linksys router works great.

The hh5 has been reported on many times even way from way  back in february 2014 when it was covered extensively.

From back then:

A BT spokeswoman said to the usual outlets ect ect  ect :

We are not aware of any issues with the BT Home Hub 5 that might lead to these reports, however we will investigate the issues raised on our forums to see if we can identify anything.

Have to keep in mind this forum only represents a small snapshot of users of bt's user base (retail/business ect) & the one size fits all approach with an all-in-one is never going to suit everyones connection.

Also have remember the hh5 is just a "package feature" on certain infinity products and its not a condition of service to use.  

It is interesting though,  BTRetails sister isp {plusnet} don't use an all-in-one ,still get openreach round to install the eci/r and their forum doesn't have the same type of "muilt drops per day disconnnection"  threads. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 285 of 366

@Barry57

Good point that the modem is part of initial setup package, although it doesn't really feel like a good excuse for BT not to address it - offer official solutions.

Forgive my ignorance but is there any correlation between users event logs that would help draw a better link to what the alternative modem options would fix? Are most people in this thread receiving the same event log errors?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 286 of 366

@TommyC wrote:
@Barry57

Good point that the modem is part of initial setup package, although it doesn't really feel like a good excuse for BT not to address it - offer official solutions.

Forgive my ignorance but is there any correlation between users event logs that would help draw a better link to what the alternative modem options would fix? Are most people in this thread receiving the same event log errors?

FWIW IMHO there is a problem with the router side of the HH5 and the biggest correlation is the firmware update repeatedly installing and causing a reboot. It has been said (and I agree up to a point) that line errors can be the cause.

Yes they can but to be happening to so many users and customer support being blind to it would suggest otherwise. Without the firmware file I can't troubleshoot it nor comment further so you are stuck with my (unconfirmed) opinion only.

That is just my opinion though but the router logs seem to confirm it.

I have never been an advocate of ISP supplied routers as they are normally "cheap and chearful" and hog tied with the ISP's own custom firmware.

I remember being a Virgin Media user a few years ago and was issued a DIR615 router for their 50Mbps service with their crippled firmware on it. Once the firmware was replaced (by me) with DD-WRT it became an excellent workhorse for it's size and worked brilliantly with Infinity when I had it, It's good for up to about 90Mbps (only has 100Mbps ports) but I still have it in case of emergency!

Whatever, I am an advocate of 2 seperate units, preferably your own router of choice, but has been mentioned the HH5 works well behind a modem in dumb router mode.

Could that be because the firmware updates aren't pushed through???

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 287 of 366

Another reboot last night.

16:56:46, 10 Feb. ( 34.930000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A)

16:56:27, 10 Feb. ( 15.700000) System start

13:52:30, 10 Feb. ( 35.540000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A)

13:52:11, 10 Feb. ( 15.990000) System start

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 288 of 366

I tried the ECI/r modem last night and the speeds dropped like a stone with it. DL ~18Mbps and UL ~8Mbps then plugged the W9980 back in and got speeds of ~61Mbps and ~17Mbps. 

Is it normal for the speeds to drop so much when the Openreach modems are first plugged in?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 289 of 366

Were there any TR069 or CWMP entries in the log?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 290 of 366

No sure why there would be a difference  as it seem they both share the same type of chipset*

Could just be the dlm or just a bad timing with any noise on the line when swapping eci/r to tplink ? 

I tend to leave it a least 8 days or longer before I'm tempted to swap or mess with anything , after reading that BTRetail's sister isp's {plusnet} guide.

http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/

*Going off the info on kitz-- confusingly there seems to be now 3 types of eci so feel free to correct if I've read the chipsets wrong.

0 Ratings