Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lfletch
Contributor
Message 31 of 40

Re: please switch me back to fast path

@RogerB wrote:
Being on fastpath has got absolutley nothing to do with a good ping rate, as far as your problem is concerned. You started off on fastpath, then there was an intervention and interleaved came on, then you had it reverted back to fastpath, then DLM punished it, by reducing the sync rate pro-rata. That's why the linespeed has dropped. Like I said, would have been better to leave it alone, the interleave sooner or later would have reverted back to fast, providing the line condition was condusive to it. But it isn't, stats show a downstream margin of 16db, and on a short metallic path, that is profound .... seeing as it used to run without it. The truth may hurt, but alas ALL your problems are down to what you've done. If left to its own devices DLM will sort it out, but the more you intervene, the longer it will take. And having the line "reset" is not the answer, if you want long term line efficiency.

Listen read my post how am I to blame for this my line was perfect never had a problem the line only started dropping a lot over the night of the BT maintenance and thats when the profile problems started 

And i called up he switched it to fasthpath not to my knowlage it would have made it worse the BT guy should have said its best to leave it he never did

And My first sync speed i posted on here has not been like that its been in the 60s so yeah it was already  screwed before i requested a change 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 40

ryant704 you asked where i got that information and you said it was false i suggest you read this link posted on the BT.Com website http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8547/~/what-is-interleaving%3F-what-are-its-pros-and-...  and you will see it cannot be done 

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 33 of 40

OK... first things first. To try and correct things do this ....

DLM will always try and give you the fastest possible connection, it's the reason it exists.

So, wait for the proprietory 5 days as suggested, then power everything down.

Wait 10 minutes then power the vdsl modem up first, let it initialise, and then start the hub and see what the speed is.

In all liklihood interleave will still be running, but maybe at a shallower depth, and if the line is really clean it will switch it off eventually, but it could take time. You have to hope that the level it's using doesn't add too much latency, which it shouldn't, but it may add a tad.

If you think about it in the first place, how quick it was and how good the ping rates were, consider this.

In all liklihood, the interleave and rise in downstream margin, may have and probably came about when you were taking the vdsl modem offline in order to unlock it perhaps, or at least interventions were made on the line after it had finished training.

I'm not saying you're wrong to do the unlocking or anything like that, I'd probably want to do the same, what I am saying is, that's probably when it happened, after having such a good start.   🙂

If it never reverts back to fastpath, a reset is the only option, which is difficult to get done (allegedly).

But the margin has to come down to target, and interleave to slacken and reach level 1 to be in with a chance of getting fastpath back.

The irony of all this is that DLM will use line history also, to form its basis for corrective line solutions, so what happens in the past is taken "into consideration" for the future .... which doesn't help your case for "automatic fastpath".

That is why I always say, leave DLM alone to get on with its job if you can. The less lines see intervention, the better they settle into their line solution .... unless of course, they need attention for valid reasons.

(And not all BTo engineers, even on Infinity, will totally understand the quirks of DLM) But if you remember in your earlier statement, he said that the pings whilst on interleave were no different to those on fastpath .... or something similar, which is, if he;s right .....  clearly good news for you.

Also to put things into perspective ... with changing parameters.

It's easy enough to get interleave turned off, and back on, and at a push even get noise margins changed, although it'll do little if the line is not condusive to it .... those things can be done either by BTo or Care Team Technical operators.

But to get the connection totally reset at the MSAN to day 0, a clean slate, destroying any former line history, in other words a total full reset .... can only be done by BT Wholesale Technical Team, and that is not easy to get done.(as far as I know)

0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 34 of 40

cheers

are you saying BT Wholesale Technical Team can reset my profile without an engineer visit

Would save me booking a day off work..

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 35 of 40

I'm not saying that ..... I'm saying, I don't even know they'd do it at all. You have to be patient, and leave it to its own devices, but you can use the 5 day self reset suggestion, but make sure a full 5 days have past before you consider resetting the vdsl modem, otherwise you'll only ADD to the problems. The other irony here now .... is that you can see your linestats, as you unlocked the vdsl modem. And I'm betting you wished you'd not bothered. 🙂 Good luck
0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 36 of 40

no my line has been fine since day one i unlocked it and was 80megs for 5 months with fasth path 

unlocking it does not effect it one bit

so no unlocking it didnt add to the problemSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 37 of 40

Well in that case your rise in margin and interleave have come about via environmental changes in your vicinity, maybe owing to darker nights, street lights perhaps, or even impulse noise at your home.

The broadband is doing what it's designed to do .... compensate for it.

Give you the fastest possible connection, without harming the network or your computer, with corrupted data.

Look at your installation, power adapters/ modem segregation, placement of modem/hub away from sources of impulse noise.

Try fully screened cables between computer/hub/modem.

Unlocking the modem wouldn't cause the problems, but the interventions made to do so may have, that's what I was suggesting, but as far as timeframes are concerned, only you would know.

I'm done.

0 Ratings
lfletch
Contributor
Message 38 of 40

no i have already said the problems started when bt was down in my area just recent 

at the time the modem was resseting and the BB service went down for over 5 hours when it came back on

the problems started

Like i said never had a problem with the service 

just came off live chat with bt wholesaler said they will reset my profile within 24 hours 🙂

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 39 of 40

There's a surprise .....

I didn't think BT Wholesale used "live chat".   Smiley Surprised

Learn something everyday.

That's as good as the "Iron Curtain" coming down !!   🙂

How long will that last ....

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 40 of 40

Hi Guys,

The live chat facility isn’t customer facing. Any faults have to be reported through your service provider. I think the original query has been answered so I’m locking this thread.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings