cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kello100
Message 1 of 4

poor download speed/line rating after exchange upgrade

hi i've been a broadband customer foe the past few years and i have always had download speeds between 3mb and 4.5mb and a line rating of 7.5mb (upload speed of around 0.4mb). since the upgrade my upload speed has shot up to 0.7mb, but my download speed has dropped to around 2.6mb and my line rating has gone down to 4mb accordingto the  Broadband Performance Tester  FTTC test, I have also reset my hub and there is no differance.

I have gone and tried the wiring test which made no differance, i have included my stats from my bt hub below.

I will be very greatful for any help you can give me.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 21:03:25
Downstream:3.688 Mbps
Upstream:864 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):4.9 dB / 7.4 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):55.3 dB / 36.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):18.2 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):5485922 / 17653
CRC Events (Down/Up):285 / 151
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):4901 / 796
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):70 / 59
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: poor download speed/line rating after exchange upgrade

from your stats your attenuation is 55.3 making your line length about 4km and according to kitz a connection speed of about 3.7mb would be normal. 
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

are you connected to the master or test socket?  do you have other extension sockets in other rooms in your home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kello100
Message 3 of 4

ii,m connected to the master scocket as it is the only one in the house (LOL) i have tested it with the test scocket and it made no differance, I was under the impression that the upload speed was roughly 10% of your download speed ie if you your download speed was 3mb then your upload speed would be around 0.3mb,I could'nt understand such a jump in the upload speed and a drop in my download speed.

thanks mate for your help its much appriciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

your upload connection speed before the upgrade was fixed at 448 regardless of your connection speed.  After the upgrade your upload connection speed can be up to 1000/1200 but often about 888 and again this is not a function of your down sync speed.

in virtually all upgrade cases there is a big jump in upload but depending on your attenuation and line quality there may or may not be an increase in your down connection speed.

if you only have the master socket then as you found connecting to the test socket will give same result

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings