cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 61 of 123

Re: poor evening speed

I must admit these forums have been pretty good to me,there is a moderator looking at my case and I've had 5,6phonecalls from the mod team so I really can't complain about the forum,but I do know what you mean greygog
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 123

i am not a real tech whizz i am afraid, though i have had plenty of experience of speed tests and the does and dont's etc, but i would have thought that BT could deploy software in the exchanges which actually monitors speeds in real time and would give them an alert when a speed dropped more than a couple of times before it reached a critical level - it seems bizarre that customers are having to chase these things down all the time - wouldn't a software speed tracking option be more cost effective for them, think of all the call centre staff they could put to other uses for instance - if i can monitor my speed, why can't they? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 63 of 123

Other ISPs do this, but they are very expensive. Given the millions of customers that BT have, it would be unrealistic to expect them to offer this and keep prices down.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 123

i see - however, couldn't iit also be argued that given the millions of customers BT has, you'd think they'd know exactly what causes these kinds of slow downs (taking all the customer's data from the BTW Performance tester would help) and be in a position to sort it at soon as it happens - or maybe its because they have so many customers and own the majority of the infrastructure that they just don't care . . . just a thought, far be it from me to knock BT, after all I've been with them since i was knee high to a grasshopper and they had the wind up phones! Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 65 of 123

I think the problem is the number of new customers (particularly fibre) are growing at a quicker rate than the network capacity to support them.

There's also been a huge recent increase in the amount of video streaming traffic. It wouldn't surprise me if 30-40% of all UK downstream traffic is now online streaming.

There will be monitoring systems already in place (even the FTTC DSLAMs have them) at all levels. The problem is it takes time, new hardware and money to put in new capacity. It does seem though that it has to become a problem before the new capacity is ordered...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 66 of 123

Maybe then if that is the case the sales team should be establishing when we plan on using the service mainly and advising that speed will be low between peak times and when I say low I mean lower than I was getting on standard broadband. If this had of Been the case I would of put off my order until BT had more suitable equipment installed and not have entered a 18 month contract.
And let's be honest here BT have enough money to throw at this problem to make it go away.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 67 of 123

I suppose the sales guy just wanted the sale. ...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 123

afraid i agree with you mike - i was only persuaded to leave behind my rock solid 17mb service because i was offered free migration, free hub and free set up as well as being about £7 cheaper than the old package i was on - that along with the avowal that you wont get drop outs and lower speeds with fibre like with copper cable - ummm, right, whose nose just went a foot longer at BT sale then? - i suppose i will have to wait until enough people complain in my area for them to put in extra capacity will I?

actually as i sit here writing this i am singing in my head Monty Python's 'always look on the bright side' - after all, i could have NO internet or email at all, then where would i be?! LOL

Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 69 of 123

Just checked on BT Service Status page and noticed they said they already resolved the problem in Dalton-in-Furness?

Only last night, it said it will be resolved on the 10th Feb.

Now it is saying it was resolved on Sun 19/01/2014 at 06:00

Download speed is still dropping and there is no sigh of improvement in the evening (peak) since before they announced there was a problem and after the problem was resolved in this area?

Someone in the same area, please can you check if your speed is still below acceptable tonight?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 70 of 123

My speed dropped as normal between 5_6pm and now it's **bleep** until after midnight this is the norm ...:(
0 Ratings