cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mr8man
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

postmaster@ btinternet.com? bombarding my account with delivery service notifications?

any advice - my account over the last 48 hours is getting bombarded with delivery service notifications from/to random addresses

all these notificatios appear to come from the postmaster at btinternet.com

is there anythign I can do?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: postmaster@ btinternet.com? bombarding my account with delivery service notifications?

@mr8man wrote:

any advice - my account over the last 48 hours is getting bombarded with delivery service notifications from/to random addresses

Look at who it was sent to - If you dont recognise any of the addresses, then your details may have been stolen by spammers/scammers. Suggest you change your password and then see if the situation improves. keen to know if this fixes it.

0 Ratings
mr8man
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: postmaster@ btinternet.com? bombarding my account with delivery service notifications?

Yeah, my concern is after more than a decade with almost no problems BT-yahoo announce a forced password change and now I get inundated.

None of the recipients are known to me, I see nothing in my sent email folder- and none of my contacts have reported any unsolicited mails

I'll update if a password change helps
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@mr8man wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately what has happened here is that a spammer has "chosen" to use your email address as the "From" address in a spam run probably to mainly BTinternet addresses in this case due the notification you're receiving.

This happens from time to time, and frankly there's not much you can do about it (apart from blocking the postmaster address).

Some people can get 10s of 1000s of non delivery notifications, particularly if the spam run is to a complete random set of email addresses - any bounce messages end up at the poor person whose "From" address was used.

The reports usually die down after a while to a trickle and then stop - but you might get a few replies from some of them saying "Oi, don't spam" .. but ignore and delete them.

You are not compromised in this case.

0 Ratings
mr8man
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the comments Andy_N , that seems a plausible explanation, as very frustrating as it is, guess I might just have to suffer for the time being, my concern is however that my account was compromised, so I'll take precautions where I can , thanks for providing some comfort on that front
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

If you are on BTYahoo email system I think you will be able to check recent activity on your email account.

See link.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2073.html

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@gg30340Unfortunately that facility is no longer available to BTYahoo accounts.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@licquorice wrote:

@gg30340Unfortunately that facility is no longer available to BTYahoo accounts.

Is that on both basic and full view?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Yes, both just re-direct to this screen

ysettings.jpg

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

OK, thanks for that. One less thing to help the customer!

0 Ratings