cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 41

price increase despite 12months agreed charges

Negotiated prices for package deal (Landline, anytime add-on, broadband etc) for a 12 months period commencing 08/11.

Received quote in writing confirming that prices will last for 12 months. In December 2011 all prices were increased disregarding our agreement. Our demands for a credit for the difference have been refused quoting paragraph 50 of the bt terms & conditions.

How can it be that bt can increase prices despite a firm agreement, in writing, confirming the validity of prices for a 12months period?

In a recent letter bt explained the necessity to increase prices due to market pressures yet at the same time we were able to negotiate even better terms than in August 2011 !?

We have been loyal bt customers for many years and were under the impression that once you negotiate a package they will honour it.

Has anybody else had this experience? Any advice would be appreciated before we take it further. 

40 REPLIES 40
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 41

Re: price increase despite 12months agreed charges

You can always quote Paragraph 52 back at them (in writing) and tell them you're taking your business elsewhere.

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 3 of 41

I have just re-contracted with BT for a broadband and call package and they confirmed that the costs would be fixed for 12 months and would not increase in January 13th when their next price increase take effect.

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 4 of 41

Do you think that if a pending increase is known when you negotiate a deal, then the deal is fixed? But if the increase is subsequently announced after you have negotiated the deal, then your deal is effected? ( not that should make any difference at all!)
0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 41

Thank you, David, for your reply. Can I ask how bt have confirmed prices to be fixed for 12 months definitely?

You see, in our contract of August 2011 it states quite clearly "Your special discount lasts for 12 months"  (something that bt did not include when we received our new contract just a few weeks ago) yet they increased the prices regardless , quoting paragraph 50, which they could just as well do to you.

0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 41

Call me old fashioned (or naive, if you like) , David, but I still believe in " a deal is a deal".

We negotiate to achieve better prices but also to avoid price increases. What is the point of them when bt can just increase prices anyway, regardless of contracts .

To increase prices , to explain them with "market pressures" only to then offer even better prices (which could be increased at any time anyway), is totally ridiculous and amounts , in my opinion, to trickery, just to keep our custom.

Having said all that, we are satisfied with the service bt provide so do not necessarily want to change, but would like them to honour their contracts

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 7 of 41

I only received verbal assurances that my rates were fixed and, despite chasing twice, never received the confirmation e-mail of my contract/deal on the 11th September. Its a shame that BT do not respond on this forum like the Sky forum that has exactly the same format.

0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 41

Thank you, Ectophile, for your comment.

We are satisfied with the service bt offers and would not want to change unless we feel we are being taken for a ride and/or not respected as a loyal customer.

As a Guru, (who should know, I presume) can you explain the absurdity of this situation?:

One negotiates prices , bt comfirms these prices, declares them valid for 12 months, increases prices 4 months later, explains them with market pressures, refuses a refund but offers even better rates than previously.

I would expect, based on this "system", we will  get an increase in January, again ignoring our "negotiated prices", our demand for a credit/refund will be refused, quoting paragraph 50, and we will then be offered even better prices the next time round

0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Could I ask you to kindly keep me posted on this one? I cannot believe they will confirm that these prices are definitely fixed for 12 months. I see you started your own thread which is excellent. I had actually expected more response to this point, we cannot possible be the only ones questioning this , frankly, absurd situation.

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 10 of 41

I will keep you posted. This afternoon on a completely different thread, and issue, I received a response from a BT 'moderator' so it would be good for a representative of BT to formally respond on this important contract issue. If I had known that my prices would be hiked in January, I may have moved to Sky as the the final decision was incredibly close. I think that BT are probably having to recoup money for all the sports contracts they have recently won.

0 Ratings