cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 31 of 41

Re: price increase despite 12months agreed charges

I am also surprised that other forum members have not commented on this BT practice. Perhaps they are used to it! I should think that the moderators only get involved to 'moderate' very extreme views/comments. I never did receive an e-mail confirming the details of my order and contract despite being told it would be instantaneous following my phone call to negotiate my contract on the 11th September and two subsequent chases.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 41

I expect that a lot of customers think that there is nothing useful they can add on this matter.  Apart from the moderators, nobody at BT takes much notice of what a few customers say on these forums.

Complaining on this forum will get you nowhere, even if other people agree with you.

It strikes me that you have four options:-

1. Live with it.

2. Cancel the contract while you can.

3. Raise a complaint for mis-selling, and see if that pursuades BT to honour their original price.

4. Get legal advice (you may have an advice line included in your home insurance policy) to see if you have any way to force BT to honour the original price.

But I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea what the outcome of (4) would be.  If I was a lawyer, I wouldn't be giving you legal advice anyway, since you're not paying me.

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 33 of 41

If BT's prices are not fixed for the period of the contract, even where they are told they are by the sales team, then perhaps customers should not be held to the contract period at all and should be able to break the contract at any time without having to pay additional fees. I repeat an earlier string to confirm that when Sky recently increased their line rental, the increase did not apply to those customers currently under contract. Now there's a thought! My hope that forums should act like a pressure group is obviously completely deluded.
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 41

It appears to me, David, that you and I are either:

the only two people who understand the absurdity and injustice of this practice and want to do something about it , or:

the only two people who have not grasped the fact, that nothing can be done about it,we should just grin and bear it , like the rest of the millions of bt customers..........(I am sure Ectophile would agree with that)

I promised to keep you updated and here it is: I had a reply from a bt moderator, which is great. Unfortunately he, again, pointed to the upcoming price increases and advised me of the possibility to leave bt within 10 days of notification. Regrettably missing my point completely (or maybe not?).

Perhaps I have not made myself clear enough, so I shall try again. Watch this space !

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 35 of 41

Cheers, dbt. I also post on the Sky forum and the members there are much more volatile. Perhaps, the BT forum has fewer contributors. The fact that only the 'Gurus' and 'Experts' appear to comment on posts may back this up.
Sky must be a similar sized company to BT.

Head and wall come to mind!

0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 41

Hello, David, it's me again.

I know you must be brimming with anticipation, so I will tell you what has happened so far:

After my previous reply to the moderator, explaining my question/problem again, I received a promising email, stating" I know where you are coming from" and my question was passed on to the customer option team .

Today I received another email from my moderator, explaining to me that an increase is coming in January and, unfortunately, nothing can be done about it! Adding (in my words) if you don't like it you can leave us for free.

Regrettably (and frustratingly) not answering my question about contracts, duration and validity etc at all !

So I tried again, explaining my point/question for the 5th time, all I want is a sensible explanation. I think, as a loyal customer I am entitled to one.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 41

@davidmridge61 wrote:
Cheers, dbt. I also post on the Sky forum and the members there are much more volatile. Perhaps, the BT forum has fewer contributors. The fact that only the 'Gurus' and 'Experts' appear to comment on posts may back this up.
Sky must be a similar sized company to BT.

Head and wall come to mind!

You can look at it another way.  the "Gurus" and "Experts" are simply the people who have made lots of posts (whether helpful or not).  So the chances are that most of the people who reply to a thread will be "Gurus" or "Experts".

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 38 of 41

We have both experienced 'mis-selling'. There is no other explanation. I expect better from a reputable organisation as BT.
0 Ratings
disappointedbigtime
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 41

I cannot say if this is "mis-selling" or not, I am not a lawyer (and I cannot ask Ectophile either, because he is not a lawyer and even if he were............).

I had what appears to be the final answer on this matter from my moderator and guess, what? He refers me to bt's t&c's, paragraphs 49 and 50, and , again advises me to leave if I do not like it. Back to the very beginning!

It's not them, it's me, isn't it? I just don't get it ! I just don't understand that we can have a contractual agreement for 12 months and , after only 4 months, BT can just increase the prices. And if you don't like it, hey, off you go. (I will have to think about my next step.)

So, is Ectophile right in saying, live with it or leave? I did not want to leave but I shall certainly now look into alternatives as  BT prices (apparently) are being increased strategically once every year.

What is your experience with Sky? Virgin? Any other company?

0 Ratings
davidmridge61
Expert
Message 40 of 41

Unfortunately, I have no experience of Sky, or Virgin, for phone and Broadband but when I did the maths before my decision, BT were slightly more expensive for calls and broadband. Had I known that my discount was only fixed from 12th September to the 5th January, I would have moved to Sky. Less expensive, unlimited broadband (free for 6 months) and the line rental was fixed for the contract period. I am no lawyer but we were mis-sold, probably by commission driven sales agents. All the best with your future decisions and contracts. This is my last post on this issue. My next contract will definitely not be with BT but one less pleb will not bother them.......
0 Ratings