cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samsung1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

price increase

hi have a full package with bt except movies ie phone line broadband bt sport and mobile phone ,due to the price increase i wanted to cancel my package as above only to be told i couldnt cancel my mobile but then my mobile bill will go up and again i will not be getting half the services i have ie bt cloud wi fi connection so on so on .i tried to explain this and bt was not for listerning ,in other words they say its separate packages which i disagree with it was one contract one deal i think this will be heading ofgems way and citizens advice plus very rude as previous posters have suggested its as if they dont want to keep there customers ,and the off shore chat services is about as much use as a choclate fire guard

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
samsung1
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: price increase

this might answer it

Under rules introduced by Ofcom in 2014, if you took out a contract after 23 January 2014 and your provider hikes prices on that contract, you can cancel without paying any penalty fees. This is the same for all telecoms providers including mobile phone, broadband and landline contracts.

However, if you were told at the point of sale that the price would definitely be increasing, it may be more difficult to leave without a penalty.

Which? helped push for these changes with the support of more than 58,000 of you who felt it was unfair that millions of telecoms customers were being caught out by unfair price rises.

Together we convinced Ofcom to take action, and as a result fixed contracts mean fixed prices from the day you sign the agreement to the end of the contract.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

The contract price is not fixed from start to end as long as the ISP allows you to end the contract that is subject to any price rise without penalty.

See Ofcom link

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/services-and-billing/conchange

I think the problem you have is that BT do not sell a package that includes everything you have.

BT sell them as individual items subject to their own contracts and you have added them your package. Some of these items are not subject to the price rise so may not be subject to cancellation clause.

0 Ratings
samsung1
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

broadband £2.50 price increase cancel

tv £3.50 price increase cancel

mobile £5.00 price increase cancel

phone line dont use cost of calls going up im sure cancel

so thats everything

plus the downgrade in services provided im sorry they going to have to offer me a cracking deal or bye bye

complaint already gone off

next is a deadlock letter

then to the adr

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

I see the argument as...

1. BT put up the brice of the broadband.

2. Therefore you may cancel the broadband without penalty.

3. You've cancelled the broadband (as you are legally entitled to), so BT puts the mobile phone price up.

4. Therefore you may cancel the mobile phone contract without penalty.

It's a tricky one, and the various laws and regulations aren't particularly clear on these linked but yet separate contracts.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

If everything is going up phone BT 0800.800.030 and cancel.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@gg30340 wrote:

If only it were that simple.  You can have a BT Sport contract.  You can have a TV contract.  You can have a broadband contract.  You can have a calls package contract.  You can have a land-line phone contract.  You can have a mobile phone contract.  When it suits BT, they are all considered to be separate contracts.

And BT likes to put up the prices of each, often at different times.

If the customer just cancels the bits that have gone up, they are left with a half-baked product that isn't what they wanted when they signed up.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Ectophile wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

If only it were that simple.  You can have a BT Sport contract.  You can have a TV contract.  You can have a broadband contract.  You can have a calls package contract.  You can have a land-line phone contract.  You can have a mobile phone contract.  When it suits BT, they are all considered to be separate contracts.

And BT likes to put up the prices of each, often at different times.

If the customer just cancels the bits that have gone up, they are left with a half-baked product that isn't what they wanted when they signed up.

I know all that, that's why I posted message 3.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 9 of 11

I'm always wary when companies offer a discount like the £5 mobile discount for being a BT customer. It means they can put the price up without actually, em, putting the price up. It's not a price rise, they're just removing a discount.

0 Ratings
Tymo76
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Dose, your quite right. I've ended up losing my mobile phone discount as I've moved my broadband and phone away from this outfit. The good thing is that they let you move down tariffs once during your contract so I'll drop down to the £5 (£10) tariff and pay the early termination charge at this rate, £3.75 for each month. Then I'm done.
0 Ratings