Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
murphy63
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

problems installing smart hub

Go to solution

Hello,

Can any community forum members advise- on broadband/hub connections?

I have had infinity and home hub 3 for a few years and recently bought smart hub anticipating that it would be a relatively straightforward matter of changing the connections over but the broadband port on the smart hub is smaller than the BT infinity port on the home hub 3. I spent about 15 minutes waiting for phone to BT to be answered without getting through. My set up is different to user guides as I cannot disconnect the cable from master socket  into the modemat either end-as the cable goes straight into the modem (DSL) ( unlike in the user guides).  I thought there might be different size cables/connectorsfrom modem to hub but when I used the BT chat the person I chatted with said there were no diffferent cables for the smart hub and could only suggest an engineer visit and phoned me to put me through on phone- with again hanging on for 10 minutes before I hung up-as I have no speakerphone.

Can any member of community advise- my technical knowledge level is very low?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: problems installing smart hub

Go to solution

You cannot use the openreach modem with the new hh6

you need to take the modem cable which connects modem to phone socket and then connect that cable to DSL socket on new hh6

so connection is socket/modem cable/hub6 - plug and play

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
murphy63
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for attempting to assist but as I mentioned in original post,-the problem is I cannot disconnect the cable from phone socket to modem, the cable comes straight out of the master socket into the modem without any connections to unplug- which is why I wondered if it was possible to connect the modem to the smart hub. May be the engineer installing BT infinity had to do it that way but it is very diferent to the user guides.

From your response I probably need to return the smart hub or request an engineer visit

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You just need an RJ11-RJ11 cable. I have yet to see a hard wired modem, are you sure you can't unplug the cable at the modem end?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

The RJ11 plug is very tiny, and it can be difficult to release the retaining clip. It just needs a pinch at the right place, and it should come out easily.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

It will be plugged into the socket as shown here. You will have one or the other type of modem.

modem2.jpg

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

RJ11 plug looks like this.

rj11.jpg

murphy63
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Dear Distinguished sage,

Thanks very much. It is tiny and did not look as if it could come out when I was looking at it from top or side in evening light.

0 Ratings
murphy63
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Dear Licquorice,

Thanks very much. Mine looks like the lower one. As it is very small as another reply I have just read mentioned, and I was expecting the connection/socket to be around the size of  the one from the modem to the home hub 3, from top and side in evening light it looked as if the cable went straight into the modem.

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Glad you got it sorted.

0 Ratings