cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

problems with BT Homehub 4 wireless connection to laptop "g" type wireless network adapter

Hi

Just upgraded from BT Home 3 to BT Homehub 4 - both of my "g" type and "n" type wireless laptops work perfectly on the BT Homehub 3

With BT Homehub 4 the "n" type wireless laptop works perfectly, however, the "g" type wireless laptop work perfectly on ethernet cable connection but no connection to "g" type wireless adapter adapter.

Is the problem that the "dual" type BT Homehub 4 is not "broadcasting" on the "g" type frequency??

All comments/suggestions gratefully received!!  

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: problems with BT Homehub 4 wireless connection to laptop "g" type wireless network ada

Its possible that your wireless drivers on your laptop need updating. Also, try deleting any existing wireless connections on the laptop, and then scan again for your home hub, to see if that helps.

Some wireless manager software retains information on old connections, which may be the cause of the problem.

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

UPDATE to problems with BT Homehub 4 wireless connection to laptop "g" type wireless network adapter

Hi,

After three continuing e-mail  enquiries to BT Technical Help Desk, a telephone conversation with the BT Indian Technical Help Desk, five continuing complaint e-mails to BT Customer Services and a detailed five page letter to BT Customer Services in the UK it "appears" BT have now discovered the source of the problem with BT HH 4

At the end of July 2013 a BT Indian based Technical Help Desk "techician" carried out a few basic checks on my laptop using "remote" access and said the laptop software - Windows VISTA incorporating Service Pack 2 - together with my laptop "g" type network wireless network adapter were not compatible with the "leading edge Dual Technology BT HH 4. I was briefly told to buy a new laptop utilising Windows 8 - remote access with BT Indian Technical Help Desk promptly terminated by "technician" without an explanation.

Fortunately, I managed established a ethernet cable connection from my laptop to BT HH 4 and had access to e-mail, internet and Google without any help from BT Indian based Technical Help Desk "technician. 

Last night I received an unexpected telephone call from a courteous, knowledgeable and patient female BT UK based Technical Help Desk Technician based in Newcastle. During the remote access she accessed the BT HH 4 and establihed my "g" type laptop wireless network adapter was recognised by the BT HH 4.

CONCLUSION

- My laptop "g" type network adapter works perfectly well - recognised by "cutting edge Dual Technology" BT HH 4

-Windows VISTA with Service Pack 2 works perfectly with "cutting edge Dual Technology" BT HH 4

After two weeks of no BT wireless internet connection - presently using a 10 metre hard wired ethernet cable - the helpful BT UK Technical Help Desk Technician based in Newcastle concluded the BT HH 4 is faulty and my laptop is fine!!

BT are "hopefully" sending out a replacement BT HH 4 which I initially paid £35 for the use of their "cutting edge Dual Technology" equipment

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Re: FURTHER UPDATE to problems with BT Homehub 4 wireless connection to laptop

Hi,

Replacement BT HH 4 arrived this morning by post!!

Same old problem - my laptop connects to the internet utilising direct ethernet cable connection. However, no internet connection utilising my laptop "g" type network adapter.

Sent BT e-mail complaint number 5 - expecting a telephone call from Indian based BT Technical Help Desk "joker".

Regards

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Did you try the wifi card manufacturer's website for updated driver as already suggested. Don't rely on windows update

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

It could be that your computer has IPv6 selected. Try disconnecting it as follows:

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP addres and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

FURTHER UPDATE problems with BT Homehub 4 wireless connection

Hi All,

Last nght I downloaded lastest wireless network driver from manufacturers website - rebooted still no wireless internet connection from BT HH 4!! 

BT HH 3 works perfectly well!!

All further suggestions/comments will be gratefully received.

Regards

0 Ratings
zombie5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Hi All,

Last night I

updated the laptop wireless network driver from manufactures website

tried the followng "fix" suggested by the forum

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP addres and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

STILL NO BT HH 4 WIRELESS NETORK CONNECTION TO MY LAPTOP

However, after I left clicked on Internet Protocol IPv4, I checked the "options to obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically"  - no data/IP addressess appeared!!

All comments/suggestions welcome.

Regards

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

In the Home Hub Manager set the wireless interface to 802.11 b/g. 

Also make sure that the wireless channel is set to a fixed one, instead of "Smart Wireless". 

Uninstall BT Desktop Help if you have it. 

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

When you used the HH3 what security setting was it on. Did you use WPA only or WPA & WPA2. If it was WPA &WPA2 try just using WPA.