cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonyv82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

problems with upload speed on my desktop

Ok so I've phoned BT and trouble shot my internet recently and my download speed is fine. My DL AND UL was suffering for a while but we reset the settings on the Hub etc via advanced settings etc and now the download is fine again and uploading on my laptop is fine. 

But for whatever reason my upload from my desktop is pretty dire, anyone got any ideas why my Desktop would be different?

Both laptop and desktop run Win 7, the desktop is an i5 2.8ghz quad core with 8gb RAM it connects via ethernet and its download seems fine. I've done the BT Speed checker on both machines and my desktop is bottlenecking at less than a quarter of a mb where as my laptop gets a couple MB. the upload was innitially quite fast when I first bought the machine its only lately that there has been a problem. IS there anyway of checking whats sending data from the computer or something?

Any reason why my desktop would be so low? I keep the startup programs clean and its only about 3 months old so its not really something to do with a program hogging the upload in the background, I will do some virus checking but surely if the Upload speed is showing as really low on the checker as well then surely theres a problem with settings somewhere? 

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: problems with upload speed on my desktop

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
RogerB
Guru
Message 3 of 12

Try a copy of CCleaner on the machine ... it's free, trusted and used by millions. http://www.ccleaner.com

It will remove unwanted clutter, cookies, unused log files, active x's and other stuff.

Use it all the time.

Then a good defrag.   A good base on which to perform further diagnostics if needed.

0 Ratings
Tonyv82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

thanks for the info, CCleaner is a good shout I've heard it mentioned before. When I get home tonight I will try that and a Virus scan + Defrag as someone suggested it could be a virus. Sorry if I didn't provide the appropriate info from the off I will check the link and post more later

thanks again

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Ok post back when you can 

0 Ratings
Tonyv82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I have a master socket but it has the top half replaced as a "BT Open Reach" box so the bottom half is the master box, the top half is an open reach bit so I assume this splits the phone form the broadband

I haven't performed the test from the test socket. My master socket looks pretty old but the open reach bit is newer. 

My hub is a home hub 3.0

no loud noise on the line test

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 61.77 Mbps

0 Mbps65.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 61.77 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-65.25 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 65.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.48 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.48Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Internet Connection Configuration
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 06:24:53 
Data Transmitted/Received (GB):0.0 / 0.7 
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com 
Password:Not configured 

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address:86.167.221.123 
Default gateway:217.32.145.226 
Primary DNS:213.120.234.66 
Secondary DNS:213.120.234.74

Do you need any other info??

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

You did not say you were an infinity user this  board is for ADSL connection / speed problems I will move your post to that board were you may get more help 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

The hints given you were for adsl and do not apply to your infinity connection
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

with your low upload speed you need to contact the help line and get an engineer visit arranged to resolve your problem 

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

they say its fine on their other computer though.

0 Ratings